Beginner's Technics SL-1200 questions

I've decided to take my Thorens TD-160 offline for a bit while I work on the common mods that are well documented online. In the meantime, I ordered a Technics SL-1200. This is one of the STOKYO refurbished-in-Japan decks- hopefully I'll report on the quality of that when I get it.

1. The turntable is shipping without any sort of mat. Searching on line, I see a lot of references to layering of mats, and different thickness. Rubber and other materials. What do I need to get to have the 'standard configuration'? The items available at KAB seemed to need to be mated with an "Isoplatman"?

2. I ordered the standard headshell and an AT440MLa cartridge. In addition to the overhang tool, what other tools will I need to set this cart up correctly?

Thanks for following along with these very basic questions.
adnan

Showing 1 response by ghosthouse

Adnan - hope you enjoy your TT. I've got an SL1210M5G purchased from KAB Electro Acoustics back in 2007. The fluid damper is definitely worth it. It's a small trough to which you will add a viscous silicone fluid. A small "paddle" from the tone arm contacts the fluid. The viscosity of the fluid helps dampen tone arm movement. If you overfill the trough, you can definitely have too much of a good thing (too much of the paddle will be in contact with the fluid) resulting in over-damping. In my set up I've only a few millimeters of paddle actually penetrating the surface of the silicone when the stylus is playing a record. Good luck getting things sorted out.