Beginner needs CD HELP

Hi all. I'm 45 years old, and after 40 years of listening to music (all types) I'm trying to become a junior audiophile. I say junior because my budget doesn't allow for real high-end money. I presently have an Onkyo Integra 100 wpc (claimed) receiver and a pair of KEF Reference 103/4 loudspeakers (I love them), using Audioquest Midnight hyperlitz speaker cables and interconnects. I have been using my old Pioneer Elite DVD/CD player as my primary CD player, because it was onhand (free) and much ballyhooed by the video mags for its "audio" performance. It has 24 bit Burr/Brown DACs and 196 performance, but I don't think it sounds as good as my 20 year old Denon DCD 1500. Am I crazy??? The Denon is so old it doesn't even have a digital output, but I swear it sounds better than the Pioneer (which was $1,000 new). The Pioneer sounds too bright with relatively little bass, whereas the Denon sounds rich and full...at least to me. Do I have bad ears or is the Denon better?? If you guys think I should 86 the Denon, can you recommend a top-notch CD player (new or used) for under $500? Thanks. -KlipschKing
klipschking

Showing 1 response by slikric3000

I hear what you say. I had a Denon car rig a little over a decade ago, it sounded full and rich also. Really got the mojo goin.