Beach Boys Pet Sounds by Analogue Productions

OK, so I was banned from the S. Hoffman site for saying I had a sibilance on my mono copy of AP Pet Sounds.  I described that it had very lush mids and strong bass but was confused by the sibilance.  So, I made a post asking people if there may be a problem with playback of mono through my stereo setup and...mentioned Pet Sounds! (had no idea there was a psycho lurking).  I also asked if anyone else had been experiencing this because I wasn't getting it on other LPs.   Long story short, after a couple of informative responses from normal people, Hoffman makes a very angry post that completely trashes me and hurls some generic insults.  I gave it back to him because it was just so infantile of a response that I couldn't resist.  I just instantly lost respect I guess.  After a few back and forths, I sent a personal message asking that my account be deleted.  Instead he banned me, and of course the thread was deleted, just like every other thread about Pet Sounds with any real content.  Even though I'm banned, it looks like I'm still listed as an active member, I assume so that it's not obvious to other members that he got mad and banned someone for not praising his work.  Unbelievable.  

Long story short, the responses I got before the host got involved were positive, stating that others were not experiencing the sibilance that I was.  What was weirder was that I had already stated that I was thinking that it was either my system or unique to the LP I received.  Anyway, I was hoping it was safe to talk about this LP here...or does he control this site too?   Hope not!
jokerman1226

Showing 8 responses by jokerman1226

The  bass is distorted and sounds like its going to collapse my speakers on God Only Knows.  It's perfect on I Know There's An Answer and things get better in from outside.  I know what you might say but that is the opposite of what I usually experience
That was good, I read the first part in my email and believed it!  Thanks for not being crazy people
I check level of my TT every session and i usually increase my anti skate when I put on 180-200 gram albums. I'm only hearing it on this lp. I just listened to several thick albums (Dylan MFSL with harp and backup singers) and all is as it should be.  I think I got one of the lsst albums from the first batch since it's gone into repressing recently.  I still think mine is a dud somehow though.  Its very sibilant.  Did they do a hi res for this?  That's a good thing about hi res since each repressing can be same as first.
Yes, I knew I was going to get banned but that's me.  I'm sickened seeing people kiss butt to moderators/dealers, etc. over their real opinions and that happens on pretty much all forums. I'm in same boat in that I'm not familar with the recording as much as others.  The problem was that I had a perhaps naive, but very real question about an audio recording but forgot that Stevie Hoffman was the engineer and that he was very sensitive.

I'm listening to it now and it's all over the place and it's not audiophile in most places.  I DO understand though that it is prob the best version available.  I have a friend who explained that the original recording kind of sucks.  That is,the kind of info I needed!
Your anti skate should increase to match your VTF so it should technically be increased when you play a thicker record because raising the cartridge height naturally increases the V TF.

Yes I'm playing it through a stereo setup
Rega p7 with a few upgrades.  Gold ring 1042 cartridge.  It's on a 100 pound sandbox.