BATVK500 in Plinius league?

I have a chance to buy a used BAT VK500 plus BATPAK for my Apogee Duetta Signature speakers (currently use Classe DR9) Plinius has been suggested as a good option, but is nearly twice the price than I can get the BAT for. Any comments on how the BAT stacks up against Plinius amps? (or other amps, Classe, Krell,)
markmcce11

Showing 4 responses by rayhall

I would consider the Plinius to be a big step over any Classe which I have heard as well as the BAT. However, I cannot tell you whether the cost difference between the amps is worth it to you. It would be worth it to me, however.
I think you would have to listen for yourself. I have a Plinius SA-100 MK III and, although I think it does produce class A sound and I like it very much, it is not perfect in every way. They do have a smooth midrange, slightly tipped towards emphasis in the upper mids, a beautiful lower midrange, an outrageously powerful midbass but not a lot of bass extension below that range. High frequencies may be slightly rolled off. One thing is the sound is extremely dynamic and absolutely clean, but not as completely neutral as some of the great amps around today, like Pass Aleph 4. I wouldn't call it "colored", but in comparison ..., you will see. Also not the last word in detail. I still think it should be way ahead of your Classe and less bright, although I don't think I have heard that model. I don't remember which BAT I heard. It was either a BAT VK-50 or VK-500 with BAT VK-5 and B&W Nautilus 802 and the sound was lifeless to my ears. The Plinius is not lifeless. So check it out yourself and let us know! How much were yoiu looking to pay? I don't see used Plinius SA-100's going for more than $2500-$2600.
I also wouldn't rule out a Pass Aleph 4. There seems to be a used one available on Audiogon right now for $2900.00! These listed for about $7000.00 only a little while ago. The Aleph 4 is not as dynamic, nor does it have the bass slam of the Plinius.Since I have both the Aleph 4 and the Plinius SA-100, I can say that the Aleph 4 beats the Plinius in low and high frequency extension, detail,soundstage and neutrality. That is not to say the Plinius isn't a fine amp. It is. But it's not in the Aleph 4's class. I can't say how much the Plinius SA-250 follows in the footsteps of the SA-100, because I am not all that familiar with the SA-250. But anyway, $2900 for an Aleph 4 seems like a way to have your cake and eat it too.
I also wouldn't rule out a Pass Aleph 4. There seems to be a used one available on Audiogon right now for $2900.00! These listed for about $7000.00 only a little while ago. The Aleph 4 is not as dynamic, nor does it have the bass slam of the Plinius.Since I have both the Aleph 4 and the Plinius SA-100, I can say that the Aleph 4 beats the Plinius in low and high frequency extension, detail,soundstage and neutrality. That is not to say the Plinius isn't a fine amp. It is. But it's not in the Aleph 4's class. I can't say how much the Plinius SA-250 follows in the footsteps of the SA-100, because I am not all that familiar with the SA-250. But anyway, $2900 for an Aleph 4 seems like a way to have your cake and eat it too.