BAT VK500 upgrade struggles

Hi,

Before I begin let me describe my current system setup

BAT VK500 with BAT/PAK
CJ PV10A (With new Mullard tubes)
Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000 with Upsampler
Vienna Acoustics Bachs
Tara Labs RSC Prime 1000 Interconnects

A couple of weeks ago I got my new (used) BAT VK500. I was immediatley impressed with its detail,openess and control. Unfortunatley it was also bright and harsh. My local dealer loaned me a pair of Tara Labs RSC cables and that has helped quite a bit. The last issue I'm struggling with is that my system sounds "hard". It sounds very clean and lean but there is none of the lushness that I had before.
My previous amp was a Sonographe SA 400. Any thoughts on what I can do to "soften" up the sound a bit? I'm really confused. Someone suggested that the BAT is just overwhelming my pre-amp and I need to upgrade? Any thoughts?

Thanks
cmach
cmach

Showing 1 response by jfrech

I've never heard anyone EVER describe the BAT VK500 as bright and harsh. Never. However, you do seem to like things warm...One, are you sure the VK500 is broken in? How long did the previous owner have it? 2) leave it on for a few days, fully powered up, and see if it changes...it should. 3) Do you have it properly powered from the wall? It needs lot's a current, and if it's on ac circuit that ton's of other stuff is on, it may effect it some. All this will make some change, but not "night and day"

Also, better electronics can expose something, you may be hearing your source finally. I know your cd player is a great value for the money, but your amp, pre and speakers are ahead of it...sonically. It all starts at the source.