BAT VK500 upgrade struggles

Hi,

Before I begin let me describe my current system setup

BAT VK500 with BAT/PAK
CJ PV10A (With new Mullard tubes)
Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000 with Upsampler
Vienna Acoustics Bachs
Tara Labs RSC Prime 1000 Interconnects

A couple of weeks ago I got my new (used) BAT VK500. I was immediatley impressed with its detail,openess and control. Unfortunatley it was also bright and harsh. My local dealer loaned me a pair of Tara Labs RSC cables and that has helped quite a bit. The last issue I'm struggling with is that my system sounds "hard". It sounds very clean and lean but there is none of the lushness that I had before.
My previous amp was a Sonographe SA 400. Any thoughts on what I can do to "soften" up the sound a bit? I'm really confused. Someone suggested that the BAT is just overwhelming my pre-amp and I need to upgrade? Any thoughts?

Thanks
cmach
cmach

Showing 2 responses by bemopti123

CJ SS amps are known to be mellower or more tube sounding than some tube amps. Most likely, you will not be able to get the same sound back, unless you ditch the BAT. Sorry, but there is not a more softer or darker sounding gear than a CJ preamp and a CJ amp. Maybe some other audiogoners have a better solution. The amp is definetly what you are not liking.
The VK500 is a veritable MONSTER, in comparison to the two amps you have stated. I have the DNA 225, it is heavy, but nowhere near the BAT. It is a very different design and approach. If I am not wrong, the BAT runs near or at CLASS A, while the DNA does not, it does not even get mildly hot, in all the times I have use it. I can say that the CJ is mellower than the 225, not to say that the DNA is known to have a mellow sound. Now that your amp is sitting more fittingly with your system, if I were you, I would not consider doing anything, just enjoying the set up. Think about packing your leviathon to be delivered elsewhere.

PAUL