BAT VK-300x

I'm interested in this amp, which seems to enjoy the reputation of a top-of-the-line integrated, but I don't have a place to audition one nearby. There are a couple of reviews, but they weren't terribly in depth as far as I'm concerned and discussion on this forum seems a bit sparse and inconclusive, especially compared to talk about some of its rivals, like the McIntosh MA2275 or 6900. I'm wondering whether somebody might be willing to wax poetic on the sound of these BAT integrateds - the differences in sound between the solid-state, 6922 and SE versions? A comparison with Mcintosh solid-state and/or tubes would be helpful, for example, as I'm familiar with those. Also familiar with Ayre, Naim, Audio Research, Linn, SETs... looking for an idea of where the BAT integrateds fit in soundwise.
Thanks in advance!
coverto

Showing 6 responses by coverto

Also interested in comparisons versus the Luxman solid-states - the 505, 550, 509, etc..
... and especially interested in comparisons to Blue Circle integrateds... ideally, I'm looking to hit a mix of non-fatiguing yet lush detail, a weighty, ballsy sound, with a hint of organic, tubey warmth that, at the end of the day, achieves neutrality, the sound of a live performance... I need something versatile that nails everything from the Takacs Quartet to Oscar Peterson to Led Zeppelin. I'm figuring this should be a cinch, right?
Thanks - I had meant to mention that I'm basically starting over completely with my system, and the current idea is to go with a pair of Ohm 1000 speakers - I'm slightly concerned that the 300x or 6922 might be a little dark for Ohms, for example. Haven't decided on a DAC for my MacBook yet, although my ideal might be something akin to an Audio Note 2.1x.
So are my questions still just too vague or poorly phrased, or have the BAT Vk-300x models failed to inspire a legion of fans who delight in describing their sound versus each other and the competition?

Again, I'm fully aware that only I know what sounds good to me, just trying to figure out if it's worth taking a trip out of town to audition one of these...
Hey Renjy - thanks for the response - I have indeed heard the Luxman L509u and agree it sounds fantastic - unfortunately, with its price tag, the choice is not mine! I was not as impressed by the 505, although I did like it. If you're saying it sounds better than the BAT at that price, that's great to know.

Thanks Keith - again, very helpful - which BAT did you hear? One of the tubed versions, I'm guessing?
Pauly - my apologies for the sluggish response. The 505u I heard was a demo that I understand was well broken in, and it was indeed a great sounding amp. But there was no doubt that the 550 and the 509 were superior, with the 509 being one of the best integrateds I've heard.

Keith - from what I've read, it seems that the more recent Blue Circle integrateds are quite a few steps ahead of the NSCS, so that still leaves me wondering, but still it's great info to have - thanks.