BAT VK 300 SE Integrated as a Preamp?

A'goners-

Kind of a different question here... anybody have experience with how the BAT supertube integrated performs as a preamp? I'm thinking about adding a VK55 SE amp for the winter months and using the bypass feature on the integrated to enable it perform as a preamp. Solid state integrated in the summer months, and a pre/tube amp combo in the winter! I'm thinking that the VK 300 SE as a premap must be at least as good as BAT's entry level preamps. So what say you?

cbd
cbd0815

Showing 2 responses by art80342

i am using vk 300x (no SE) and have auditioned vk3xi + vk55 at home. was lucky to be able to swap the pre amp - mating both 3xi and 300x with VK55.

ruled out using 300x as preamp after comparing. 3xi was more airy and holographic somehow .... :)

also called Victor and he said tats really not a step up and ..... and its better using a dedicated preamp if at all.
hi there cbd...the vk300;s preamp performance for me is less than 50% that of the vk3xi....it actually sound like a little mis match with the vk55. i hv not mated it with other power .... can't comment.

the vk300x with vk55 sounds funny ... can't put a thumb to it ...but its funny