BAT VK-200 vs VK-220?

I've seen a lot written and discussed on VK-200, but not much on VK-220.
Would it be because VK-220 is still relatively new?
Or, because VK-200 was so famous but its following VK-220 was not much different?
Or, because VK-200 is simply a better amp?

For power wise, I think both measures pretty much the same (125 WPC on 8 ohnm), even though a bit different on paper.

Any direct experience on two?
128x128ihcho

Showing 3 responses by ihcho

Rogue Magnum does not support balanced. The BAT I will have comes with RCA adapters. I read about that BAT amp works best with balanced preamps, but I also read that it would work good with other preamps. I bought BAT with the mind to replace Rogue in the near future. But if it works real good with Rogue I may keep it for a while.
My speaker is Tyler Linbrook Signature Systems. I have Linn AV5105, which is not bad, but with continual upgrades, I think I came to a point that Linn is outmatched and it is time to go.
I mostly listen to jazz, blues, and classicals, and ocasionally others -- hard/metal, rock, folk, country, new age, easy listening, ...
Samzx,

What a small world we live in agon! You mate VK-200 with VK-5i? How did you come back to VK200?
Have you tried other preamp than VK-5i? .

I will have VK-200 soon. I have Rogue Magnum 99. I will see how well BAT works with Rogue.

I thought about VK-220, but I was not sure whether it was worthwhile to pay for extra $500 to get VK-220. VK-220 is newer, but I am not sure about the power difference. I emailed VK and he responded that VK-200 meaures more like 125WPC. Other than newer circuit and design than VK-200, it may be hard to tell that VK-220 is sonically superior to VK-200, that was my feeling. Hope somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Also, I could not find any reviews that directly compares VK-220 to VK-200.
It is a usual one piece LSS with 8" driver. Rogue says that Magnum 99 would work well with either balanced or unbalanced amp, so I hope it would work good with vk-200.

It would be hard to find a preamp that would surpass Magnum 99 at similar price. Bat VK-5i may be an option, as yours, but I am not sure VK-5i would make sonic improvement over Magnum 99, which I may need to explore later. Gee, then I almost get the same system as yours? Tyler speaker, BAT vk-200/vk-5? I have Arcam FMJ CD23. What do you have?