Bass Question - should LP range be so different?

I listen to both LP's and CD's. I've noticed, as this is a fairly new setup for me, that the bass is fuller and more balanced with the mids and highs when using my Sony SCD777ES with both redbook an SACD then when I use my Linn Sondek LP12 with Ittok LVII tonearm and Arkiv cartridge feeding into a Verion MKI Phono preamp. The bass through the Linn side seems to lack a rich sonic texture.

The setup beyond these components are a Space-Tech QA-115 full balanced tube per-amp, and a VP-105 50Wrms push-pull tube power amplifier. The speakers are Totem Winds.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to boost the bass on the LP side. I also wonder if it is the recordings themselves?

Thank you!
128x128jcbach

Showing 1 response by reb1208

The amount of information that can be cut into a LP record is fixed. Often the low frequecies are rolled off and many records will sound thin. Also common to have a "dark" analog type sound as the engineer decided to lop off the highs. There simply is not enough room on a LP side for the grooves required. This is not the case with 12" singles as they can reproduce the full spectrum of sound as the song takes up the entire side. The "best" LP's have a compromised balanced sound. A little roll on the top/bottom and some slight compression to fit as much info as possible.