Bass Driver Size - how much better is an extra inch?

Have older b&w speakers and bass drivers are 7 inches vs 804 d3 speakers that are 6 1/2.

the larger drivers seem to really open the sound stage, more open and less constrained.  Imaging of older speakers not as good but a very enjoyable listen.
Not sure why driver sizes tend to be smaller these days unless you pay a lot more.  Hear that most consumers want more compact mains so drivers are smaller.  Kinda sad.
emergingsoul

Showing 1 response by bigjohn9095

I don’t have a lot of experience with different speakers, but I can tell you there is a big difference in bass between my current Klipsch Cornwall IV’s and my Goldenear Triton 5’s. On paper the Tritons went deeper into the 20’s while the Cornwalls only go down to 38 however the sound is bigger. When I added two JL Audio Dominion D108 Subs with the Goldenears the Sound was great but still not as powerful as my Cornwalls. I’m actually thinking of adding my Subs back into my system to see how they’d sound with the Klipsch. But is it useless to use two 8 inch 500 watt subs with big 15 inch woofers? So in my experience albeit limited bigger woofers can provide bigger sound but not always deeper bass.