Bass Attenuation - best approach

I've been using the Martin Logan Odyssey speakers since new about 14 yrs ago and have been very happy with them in almost all respects. 2 days ago, however, I auditioned a pair of Martin Logan Theos speakers and heard what I thought to be, better detail in the upper mid ranges. I know that improvements in ML's overall technology has been made but I'm wondering if some of this "improvement" , at least to my ear, has something to do with the more limited bass output of the Theos. It's not that the Odysseys are lacking in the upper registers, but I feel that the bass output interferes or detracts from my appreciation of them. It's not that it's muddy or boomy; it's just there. I do have personal hearing issues (I'm 72 yrs old) that may contribute to this phenomenon but I'm looking for the best way to make an adjustment to accommodate my listening tastes.

My understanding of the most obvious fixes include using a good equalizer or going back to bi-wiring and installing resistance in the bass path. What I'm hoping for, then, is some advice regarding the best approach to this issue and will appreciate any that's offered.

My equipment is: Shanling CD100 disk player, Peachtree Audio Nova used as a preamp and Peachtree audio 220W power amp.
128x128broadstone

Showing 2 responses by zd542

"My understanding of the most obvious fixes include using a good equalizer or going back to bi-wiring and installing resistance in the bass path. What I'm hoping for, then, is some advice regarding the best approach to this issue and will appreciate any that's offered."

I don't know why you would assume the speakers are at fault. You heard the Theos in a different room with different electronics. To start with, I would bring your current electronics in to store that you heard the Theos and see how they sound with your gear.
"11-13-14: Martykl
If you haven't tried it yet, you might experiment with room placement. A lot of the bass you hear is coming off the walls, so pulling the speakers out may reduce the overall bass a bit. As you get closer to/further from the walls, the frequency range that is being boosted by room reinforcement will change, as well. Simply shifting this frequency may also help with your issue. The results can be quite significant."

He's right. There are places in a room that will help boost bass, but there are also places that can weaken it. If you try some different locations, its very possible that you can fix the problem without spending any money.

A couple of other things you may want to look into, is changing your seating position, as well. Sometimes, if you move your head closer to the wall behind you, it gives you the same effect as cupping your hands like you would do if you were trying to hear something. Another similar option would be to use room tuning devices that better reflect, or enhance the mids and highs. Basically do just the opposite of bass traps do. I'm just guessing, but it sounds like that may be a better option for you. Based on the info you provided, it sounds like you are having more trouble hearing the upper frequencies, as opposed to too much bass being the cause.

Have you tried headphones? That could be another possible solution.