Basis TT /Walker Motor Controller?SDS- 220 volts?

Can anyone tell me whether Basis tables can be easily "converted" to operate at 220 volt? This is a trivial matter on a Lingoed LP12 or an SME....but can't find any info for Basis. I have also noticed that some Basis TT owners use the Walker Precission Motor Drive (or the SDS) to fine tune the speed. Is this unit easily switchable between 220 and 120? How about the VPI SDS? Though these might seem somewhat trivial questions, the answers will likely determine whether I go for a Basis or an SME table as my next upgrade. Many thanks for any light you might shed on this....
128x128alexc

Showing 2 responses by albertporter

The Walker may be ordered for 220 / 240 volt operation and will provide a stunning improvement for the Basis. I owned that combination and was amazed at the upgrade this simple addition provided.

Also worth considering, speed changes on a Basis requires the Plexiglas cover be removed and then (handling the rubber belt) stretch to the remaining pulley step. I always hated getting oils on the belt and trashing the flawless black plex on the basis by handling it so often.

Upgrading to the Walker controller, you leave the belt in the 33 speed position and select the 45 speed position on the controller. Each speed has it's own speed adjustment screw on the front panel.

I recently obtained a Clear Audio turntable for a guy in my group. They have a nice controller and it (I think) has the voltage selector. You might check into it, especially if you travel where you must accommodate both 120V and 240V.

Musical Surroundings will be able to tell you if the Basis table is compatible with the Clear Audio controller.

If you must speak about special order requirements of the 240V motor controller with Loyd Walker, be aware he leaves for one month vacation this coming Friday.

Good luck with your purchase, whatever you decide to do.
Sorry, no. I have several years experience with various Basis, VPI, Well Tempered, Versa and other tables, but not the SME.

I have a great deal of respect for the SME and one of the guys in my group has a model 20. I hope to have it in my system for a trial listen some day.

If Musical Surroundings comes for new product photography this Summer, I am going to try to score a Clear Audio Master Ref and linear arm. I understand it is probably not in the league with Rockport or a Walker, but I would love to listen for a couple of weeks, just so I could learn about it.

Before you buy the VPI controller you should check out the Clear Audio. I think it's got the 120-240 ability and it's not only pretty, but competitively priced.