Basis 2500, 2800 or Debut - which would you use?

Hi fellow Audiogoners - I am giving serious consideration to acquiring either a Basis 2500, 2800 or Debut - which would you use and why? I look forward to your timely replies. Thanks very much.
rmarcus5757
The Graham is great for getting the basic setup reasonably right, but, I still think it pays to use another protractor to check the setup. The jig used for overhang alignment is a bit less than precise. For one thing, unless the height of the cartridge is exactly matched to the jig, you are only getting an approximately correct setting. I also think there is just a bit too much slop in the hinge of the jig itself to make me super confident in the accuracy of using the jig alone. That said, I have set up the Phantom using the jig and got alignment that agreed fully with a Feickert protractor.

The Basis mirror tool is pretty easy to use, and the arm is not that hard to set up well. I also got a great match to a Feickert protractor. The hardest thing to get right is the VTF because of how difficult it is to move the counterweight to make a fine adjustment (I should have lubricated the shaft first). In that respect, the Phantom IS easier.

Still, I don't think there is a big difference between the two in terms of ease of setup. Both are a breeze compared to something like a Shroeder arm.
Chayro, thats the whole point. With the Graham even a novice can mount and optimize the arm/cartridge as well as an expert.
AJ Conti designed the Vector so that it could be set up by anyone with decent tt skills. You can buy setup DVDs from Basis in which AJ walks you through the tt and arm setups step by step. I'm not saying you would be able to do it as well as an expert, but it's not a big deal. Really.
The Phantom verses Vector raises a point I'd like to make. There are many variables in optimizing the performance of your arm/cartridge. While the Vector can certainly be set up for optimal performance, I went with the Phantom Supreme because, in my opinion, it is easier to set up. Since I have no local dealer, nor am I well versed in mounting a cartridge while the arm is still on the table, I felt I could get much closer to 100% of optimal with the Supreme as opposed to the Vector.

Very slight changes in azimuth and VTA can make more of a difference in sound than the quality of the arm. That is, when you're talking about arms at this level. The Graham system allows even an idiot like me to come close to 100%. Even if the Vector 4 outperforms the Supreme on an absolute basis, I'm not sure I'd have the skills to obtain it.
Interesting comments made above. I heard a 2500 that had both a Phanton and a Vector arm on it. I liked the sound of both arms, though the table's owner and another friend very much preferred the sound of the Vector arm when using either a Transfiguration Orpheus or Lyra Titan cartridge. The Phantom arm combined with either cartridge sounded a bit less lively, but, I did not think it was quite that big a deal. This particular table was quite sensitive to footfall problems on suspended wooden floors and needed some kind of additional isolation.

I have never tried any other arm than a Vector 3 on my Debut vacuum table. I like the combination a lot. The sound is very weighty and solid, while not sounding dead or "dark." But, it is more in the high mass, well damped camp than the lightly sprung suspension camp (e.g., Michelle) so the sound may reasonably be characterized as less lively and punchy than such tables.
I had no idea an acoustically designed room could make such a difference. Good luck in your TT search - you have a very nice system.
Yes, I did hear it at Goodwins. I was shopping for cables and was treated to their big room with my LPs. It was very memorable.

I could also tap on my stand under my SME table with no audible effect, but the sound did improve when I put the 150 lb Vibraplane plus a 130lb piece of steel ballast under my table. It was like jumping up to a higher lever cartridge with the added low level resolution from the improved isolation.

I admit I have no experience with your 2200. Seems like a nice table. I like the looks of your room. I'm sure a dedicated sound room would do wonders for my system.
Peterayer, I have had my 2200 on two surfaces, first, a maple butcher block on top of a target stand and now on top of an Arcici stand with air bladder technology. I cannot say I noticed a difference with the TT however, my electronics are better isolated on the floating shelves underneath and I have noticed a slight improvement.

When the 2200 was on the butcher block you could bang on the BBwith no audible or physical effect. So IMO, the resonate annihilators used for suspension on the 2200 is all I need for isolation.

BTW, you must have heard that system at Goodwins, heard it a few weeks also, quite nice!
....But I would buy it with a Phantom Arm instead of the Vector.
Syntax
hello Syntax, could you please explain why you would prefer the Graham Phantom arm over the Basis Vector arm? I would like to understand your reasoning. Thank you.
Pops, Are you sure the Basis 2200 is "impervious to mechanical or
airborn vibration?" I believe Syntax had his Basis on a Vibraplane and
noticed an improvement from the added isolation. I have my SME 30/12 and
motor controller on a Vibraplane and also noticed an improvement.

I did recently hear a Basis Debut with a Vector arm and Clearaudio Goldfinger
cartridge in a super Spectral/MIT/Magico Q7 system and the sound was very
natural and enjoyable. I really liked the build quality and vacuum system on
the Basis.
I agree with Syntax. All of the Basis tables are extremely well-engineered and built to very tight tolerances, so you really can't go wrong with any of the choices. The Debut's suspension system probably gives it a slight advantage over the 2500 and 2800 in terms of isolation, but I would strongly urge that you get the vacuum system with it. I've got an Ovation that I upgraded with the Debut's platter, bearing and vacuum system, it has worked flawlessly since I got it in 1991, it truly conveys the music and the vacuum is a revelation in flattening warped records. Only point where I might question Syntax is the arm choice. I have a Graham Phantom Supreme arm, which I like a lot, but I'm not so sure whether I would not trade that for the latest Vector if given the chance.
In the 90's I was a visitor from a Dealer demo, he had 5 Turntables on a rack, some very expensive ones (Linn LP12 max, Clear audio, Simon Yorke, Transrotor and a cheap Basis 2001 with Suspension feet, Rega 250 with Incognito wire and a Miyabi Cartridge)..all Importers used their Arm/cartridge of choice used the same Frontend and Amplification + Speaker, all carts got 47kohm, no damping ...
This little Basis was so superior to ALL that a few Listeners asked for another demo because they couldn't believe what was going on ... others were 8x the price...
you are in the upper limits for me but I have a 2200 sig and love it, also have a 1400 sig in a second system. the 2200 has been a solid performer for years, dead silent and impervious to mechanical or airborn vibration.
They are all good. The Debut has the best overall Performance based on
its low frequency ability (it has to do with weight and isolation).
The Vacuum Option is very good, probably the best in the world (low
pressure, reliable, no - negative -influence to sound quality, top bearing,
good motor...)
Some time ago he had a technical paper what is done for what reason,
very clever solutions (the suspension for example).
In a way it is a tool for a record collector who isn't interested in any sonic
artifacts, instead it will show you very clearly what is on your records.
A lot of Audiophiles look for something they don't know, but they want
to have it. This is the reason why some many Designs are available and
all have their Fangroups.
I think, the Basis Design is for those who want a serious reproducer for
their music because they understand what is going on with it. Today, a
minority :-)
But I would buy it with a Phantom Arm instead of the Vector.