Basis 2200 Bass Issue

Hello,
I just purchased a used 2200 with a Vector 4 tonearm here on Agon, had it sent to Basis to be checked out and it was given a clean bill of health. Set it up last night, and I think I was careful and precise in following the directions. I have the table on a Vibraplane 2212, all Audio Research gear, Ref 2 SE Phono Pre, Ref 5 SE Pre, Ref 110 Amp, all Nordost TYR 2 Cabling. Bass sounds HORRIBLE! No balls, no slam, no texture. Had a VPI Classic 3 which sounded pretty great but my impression was that the 2200 was a superior table. Any insight or suggestions will be greatly appreciated, besides getting the Classic 3 back :) Thanks.
128x128moryoga

Showing 2 responses by chayro

It's sometimes difficult when you change out a source component, as everything in your collection may sound "different". It just takes some getting used to. Listen for a few months and stop screwing around for now. IMO, the Basis has a much more "master-tape" sound than my previous Linn, which did take a bit of time to appreciate. Listen for the lack of artificial resonance and the true portrayal of the source. Then again, you may just prefer the VPI, which is fine. That's just the chance you take buying without audition. You save a lot of money, but you take a gamble. The good part is - you can probably sell at little or no loss. Or perhaps even a small profit, now that it's been blessed by AJ. But do give it some time. Best of luck.
Just one more thing - I'm not very familiar with Vibraplanes, but I do believe they use an air bladder suspension. Linn always cautioned about placing a spring-suspended table on anything that contained a suspension because the two suspensions could interact and oscillate. You should speak with AJ about this, but if this is happening, there could be reinforcement of certain frequencies and cancellation of others. Maybe you should just let the 2200 stand on its own 4 feet or the Calibrator if you have it.