Basis 1400/benz/rb250/300

ok, i know i've joined or posted a few analog threads recently.
my apologies in advance.

here's my dilemma:
recently added the project phono box simply to have access to my small, but cherished vinyl collection, with a kenwood kd44r dd table i inherited from my father.
my rogue 99mag does not have phono option.
also, i hesitated to purchase high end analog because i was unsure if i would expand beyond my 30 lps.

well, in the last 5 days i've acquired 20 new lps and have about 2 dozen more on hold at a local shop.
my interest has alerted the owner of a vinyl store to go diggin through "storage" for titles i'm looking for not on the shelves. so i see no end to vinyl purchases.

yesterday i picked up a mint gov't mule 'dose' 2lp set which friggin kills my copy on disc, and my table is crappy.
also got a nm columbia 6eye brubeck newport '58, awesome.
have 5 more brubeck 6eyes on hold.

anyway, i had kinda settled on a basis table as my entry into highend analog.
from what i hear, the basis 1400 with modded rega arm would make me really happy for quite some time.

so, while shopping for vinyl at www.elusivedisc.com, i find they have basis 1400 specials,and free shipping to 1st time buyers.

i will not be able to upgrade both my analog front end and phono preamp.
so here goes:

1) $1425 gets me a basis 1400, rb250 and benz mc silver or gold. for $200 more, i get a rb300 instead.

2) for $1650 i get basis 1400, rb250 and benz ace. rb300 for $200 more.

3) finally $1800 ets me a basis 1400, rb 250 and benz glider. again $200 more gets me rb300.

what to do?????????????????
my project phono states it supports both mm and mc cartridges, but each of the benz carts come in different output flavors. from what i understand i should go as low as i can go, but my phono preamp will be a limiting factor for awhile. eventually i will splurge for proper phono amplification but am debating the rogue phono stage vs. outboard unit such as ear's phono stage.
glider and ace/ .3, .8 and 2.5 mv
gold .4 mv
silver 2 mv

is the rb300 worth the extra $200? i suspect yes.
does the glider clearly elevate the table/arm above the ace?

would it be better for me to put $200 extra bucks into the arm OR the cartridge, OR should i go buckwild and do both?

thanks in advance for those that read my posts and address my questions.
for those more knowledgeable/experienced, i'm sorry if this is redundant.

fujindemon

Showing 1 response by blackie

I agree with Drubin about getting the RB250 modded later on as being a better value than the 300. As for the cart, go with the med (.8mv) output ACE (about 80% of the Glider in performance) and this should work with your current phonostage and compliment a higher quality one you buy later. Enjoy the vinyl!