Bang for the buck ... high Q/$ ratio.

If money isn't an issue it’s not too difficult to find audio gear that sounds really good. But what if we don’t want to break the bank? Then it can become harder to find that one gem. But it’s not impossible, sometimes you find an item that sounds much better than its price tag suggests.

I bet most of us once had such a 'wow' moment. I had mine with my earbuds. When I needed a pair I set my budget at $100. I did some reading and found multiple reviews on the KZ ATE, most of them claiming they sound better than pairs ten times their price. And the fun part was … they’re just $10. I ordered myself a pair and kept my expectations low, worst case there was just $10 to lose. But guess what? Every time I put them in they put a smile on my face and I’m amazed how good they sound. 

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kz-ate-in-ear-monitors.21174/reviews
https://www.audiophileon.com/news/kz-ate-review-the-best-budget-earbuds

That's the idea with this thread. Please share with us a 'wow' moment you had when you found a product that amazed you with how good it sounds, given its price tag. Preferably backed with a few links that confirm it's not only your own opinion.

rudyb

Great thread idea and right up my ally.... because I can only afford budget gear.

Agree or disagree... these budget components have impressed me at different times in my many years in hifi audio.

Magnepan MMGs- $599 The best high end starting place

Bluesound Node and Vault- Each for less than $500 and $1000- Great streamer and storage for CDs

Schiit Bifrost 2 and Freya Plus $600 and $700- These guys make hifi affordable

Vandersteen 2CE Sig II $2300- A wonderful and refined budget speaker

Parasound A21 $1700- Muscle and finesse for at a price that can be reached

Line Magnetic 216 integrated tube amp $1950- Got me started on tubes- cannot go back now

Tekton Double Impact SE $4200- Incredible powerhouse speaker can be driven with 28 watts!!

Sony XA20ES CD player $400-  Best vintage CD spinner I could ask for

I second the Bluesound. Got myself one recently. It sounds good and its ease of use via the app is simply wonderful. I can't exactly consider it cheap with its price tag around that of an i5 laptop, but its a piece of equipment one can greatly enjoy.

Magnepan speakers ... yes, love them. I have a pair of 1.5 SE for about 30 years now and they still amaze me with their openness, 'speed' and placement. And the fun is, it's as if sounds also come from different heights, but that could be my imagination fooling me. :) They had (and I bet current types still have) an incredible performance / price ratio.