Balanced vs. Single Ended Interconnects

From your experience, would you expect a higher quality single ended interconnect or an entry level balanced interconnect to sound better when connecting two balanced components?

More specifically, I will be connecting a Denafrips Ares ii to a Pathos Classic One Mkiii and I currently have Audioquest Sydney RCA interconnects.  Is it worth getting some cheap Monoprice XLR cables or should I just wait until I can justify purchasing something from Audioquest (probably Red River or Belden BAV) in the future.   

- robot

mceljo

ohlala - If you're connecting to an unbalanced component then balanced cable provides no benefit.  If it's a cable designed for an unbalanced connection that just has an XLR connector then I'd anticipate that it would perform nearly identically to a standard unbalanced cable.  If it's a cable designed for a balanced connection with an RCA connector, then I'd anticipate that it might perform poorly since it's being used in the wrong application

It is sort of the other way around.
Using an XLR into an RCA adapter, with say the starquad cable one should see:

• slightly better immunity to magnetically induced signal from the starquad cancelation (Pretty subtle I would think)
    • and all the CMRR advantage is lost.
  • a higher amount of capacitance (maybe double?)
  • probably a bit more immunity to ground loop as there is a wire and a shield (in parallel) to couple the ground between the chassis. (Maybe half?)

The main reason I would use an XLR cable in that scenario is that one could use XLR, or they could decide to use the RCA with the adapters.

Basically when the 3 wires of the XLR are made into a 2 wire system, it is equivalent to the 2 wire cable. But one cannot decombine a 2 wire cable back into a 3 wire cable.

As you know most pro audio is balanced. If you had significant runs and problems with ground loops and hum, then the XLR is your friend.
If the lengths are short, and there is not hum, then one may not hear any difference… because there probably is not any significant difference.

If the lengths are short, and there is not hum, then one may not hear any difference… because there probably is not any significant difference.

I would add that short lengths will minimize the effects that a cable can exert on  sound reproduction-aka Cable coloration.

I think Ralph Karsten has it right. Equipment using the AES 48 standard will allow you to use an XLR cable that will have minimal effect upon sound reproduction. (Which is why they use that standard in recording studios).

Using an XLR cable with equipment that doesn't support the AES standard means that all bets are off-Any cable may or may not affect sound reproduction. And, YMMV.

FWIW, I used the cables Ralph sold me with his amps/preamps(-Mogami), when my dealer recommended AQ, I really couldn't hear much of a difference, despite the AQ being significantly more expensive. (I forget the model, but they did not have the dielectric system). Once again, YMMV.

B

My interpretation of an old almarg post is that some noise rejection may occur connecting XLR with just one of the units being balanced, so I gave it a try. 

FWIW, I used the cables Ralph sold me with his amps/preamps(-Mogami), when my dealer recommended AQ, I really couldn't hear much of a difference, despite the AQ being significantly more expensive. (I forget the model, but they did not have the dielectric system). Once again, YMMV.

@gdnrbob I am making some cables up in the silver cotton insulated wire, and will then use a shield which is either a large wound around it all, or a weaved jacket.

I doubt it will make much of a difference, but I can make another pair if you want to try that approach. And as Ralph says it doesn’t matter, then it may not make sense.

But if there is any truth the theory behind the DBS, then changing the dielectric to cotton will mitigate them needing to be biased, as cotton does not likely polarise like teflon.

I need some short ones for the TT to phono and then to the preamp, so I figured, “What the heck”

@holmz ,

I am up to any trial you would want to perform.

Though I am an adherent to the new AQ cables, I am open to trying new things-esp, things that have an intrinsic scientific background- like using cotton instead of a DBS system.

You only know when you try it. And, as a gardener, I'll try anything-Except incest.😉

B