Balanced v unbalanced input to Ayre preamps

I've been using unbalanced connection between an Oppo 205 and Ayre K-5xeMP preamp, but wonder if the sound with balanced might be superior.  According to Oppo Tech the sound with the balanced or unbalanced outputs from the 205 should be identical, presumably at reasonable cable lengths.  But is the same true with Ayre preamp inputs?  

I'm hoping to replace the K-5 with a KX-5 Twenty to match my VX-5 Twenty amp; the KX-5 has more balanced inputs.  An Ayre C-5xeMP and Sony HAP-1ES use the two balanced inputs of the K-5. 
Ag insider logo xs@2xdbphd
I'd opt for balanced myself. Ralph at Atma-Sphere says balanced cables don't influence sound like unbalanced, and are less affected by distance.
Bob
Post removed 
Ralph's (Atmasphere) comments regarding a differential balanced circuit eliminating cable artifacts is based on the balanced design supporting the 600 ohm standard, as Atmasphere designs do. It is my understanding that not all balanced designs support this standard.
Clio,

That is correct that some balanced designs don't support the 600 ohm standard.

dbphd,

i presently use balanced cables in my system because I have 2 meter cables from my dac to my pre and also from my pre to pwr amps.I have noticed a quieter noise floor vs rca cables in my system.You may need to try some balanced cables in your system and see.There is really not a right or wrong way to this subject it just depends on what works the best for you.If you are using rca cables longer than 2 meter or so you probably would want to use balanced if possible.

Kenny.
Ayre gear is optimized for balanced connections and always sounds best when run fully balanced. If the Oppo is truly balanced (dual differential), then you'll get the best results that way.