Balanced Preamp recommendations up to $5,500

I am in the market for a preamp with balanced ins/outs up to $5,500. I do not have a preference for tubes or SS. I am slowly weening myself off of my Cronus Magnum, however, for the next year or so, I will use this integrated as a power amp. I can use this as a power amp as I have already checked. I am fine with new or used equipment.

I have been researching Pass Labs, McIntosh, ayre, rogue. I am open to suggestions for the brands I’ve listed as well as any I haven’t. I’m looking for great bass, no harsh or etched highs, holographic deep image and soundstage. Sound that is detailed yet fun and not analytical.

Current system

VPI Scout 1.1 TT
Lyra Delos MC
Pass Labs XP-15 Phono Pre
Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum (version 1 with KT120 tubes)
ZU Audio Soul MKII Speakers
ZU Mission MKII Phono and Interconnects
ZU Event MKI Power Cables

asp307

Showing 8 responses by asp307

Thanks for all of the recs, I appreciate it. I am going to explore Pass Labs further and look to build around my XP-15 phono pre. There are a lot of great pieces out there but I really have a ton of respect for Nelson Pass and I have a high level of 'pride of ownership' with my phono pre. 
Quick update, I’ve purchased a Pass Labs XP-12 and I’ve upgraded my XP-15 phono pre to the new XP-17. Both pieces purchased through Mark at Reno HIFI (but of course.) Second purchase with Mark and I was able to take advantage of the upgrade/trade-in program. Also picked up a ZU Event MKII XLR to connect both pieces which will provide an additional 6db of gain.

Can’t wait to get these into my system and give them a go...will report back once they’ve settled in if anyone is interested.
@david_ten yea, the 25 is so highly rated however I love the concept of starting fresh with these two newer pieces...looking forward to it and will report back..
@hifi78, I know it’s odd right? There was one review, in German no less. There was a video of interest with zu and Pass showing together which was somewhat helpful for the simple fact that I trust both companies to make good product. I have the XP-15 which was an eye opener when I introduced it into my system. One thing I did read was that Pass doesn’t roll out new models for the heck of it, there needs to be a dramatic change for them to update the lines. I think it was 7-8 years since the XP-15 debuted. I prefer that in a company rather than one with new models annually...that’s a wheel I don’t want to run on...I’ll keep you posted.
@cleeds @perazzi280 @atmasphere the pass xp-15 (and new 17) does not have a balanced input. My only source is a TT. I asked Pass Labs directly why no balanced in? FWIW, I received the following response: 

”Probably because there are no phono cartridges with a center tap (6-wires) . So in terms of what we do with a balanced circuit you'd have to emulate that imaginary mid point.. At those signal levels it's always been a step backwards at the first gain stage. The super-symmetry circuit does that quite nicely but only at higher signal levels. Secondary is SE cables generally have lower reactance per foot than balanced cables.”
@nkonor I apologize however I’m not familiar with the Xono...I would suggest contacting Kent English at Pass Labs. He’s very helpful. 
@cleeds I should have said no XLR ins..I think what you are saying was corroborated by Kent when I asked him. Thanks.