Balanced But Not Fully Balanced

I own a preamp which has both balanced and single ended jacks. I assumed that since I was using the balanced jacks I was getting the benefit of a balanced circuit. I have just now realized that just having balanced plug-ins doesn't mean your preamp (or any other component) is "balanced." Just wondering what sonic compromises are being made with equipment which has balanced inputs and outputs but changes the signal to single ended as it passes through it. If you are using the balanced outputs, what good is that if the signal going into this jack is single ended? I don't understand what good is it to offer equipment with balanced capability only to revert to single ended signals. Is this just a gimmick to sell equipment or is there some advantage to not making the circuitry "fully balanced?"
frepec

Showing 2 responses by kren0006

Bringing back this 8-year old thread that has been dormant for 3-years.

I have two components that I know are fully balanced, and two others in my secondary system that I suspect are not, despite them having XLR connectors. I plan to ask the pointed question of the manufacturer of those components, as suggested.

My question though: Is it typically a tip-off that a component is NOT fully balanced if the XLR input or output connectors for left and right channel are close to one another on one side of the component (say both on othe right side, rear faceplate), as opposed to being spaced from one another and generally on opposite (left and right) sides of the component? In that connector-same-side situation, is it reason to suspect that the internals are not a fully balanced topology?

For balanced designs it makes sense to me that for separation the layout may keep the circuitry on either side of chassis and in that manner also have the corresponding connector on the respective side. Or am I reading too much into this?