Balance knob ..

So I'd say I've been a budget audiophile for 40+ years. Used to sell audio at Audio Warehouse in Cincinnati in the '80s. Currently I have a pretty big room with 12' ceilings, but different open areas behind each of the Maggie 1.7is and the Emotiva BASX 10" subs behind each. All driven by an Emotiva XPA-2 Gen3 and old CJ PV-10AL preamp. Listening mostly through a Bluesound Node 2i. CD player is a Panasonic Aventage BD1060 disc player. I have the sound, honestly, pretty damn great. But I am realizing a bit of bias to the left speaker. I think this is because that speaker has a lot space behind and to the side whilst the right has less and more complicated space behind and a closer side wall. 

I have always been told - and believed - that you shouldn't ever mess with the balance knob. But if the sound is a bit UNbalanced isn't that what it's for? Just to "balance" the output? But then I think with more signal going to the channel that the knob is turned to - which will screw-up imaging, soundstage, depth, etc., no? 

I am kinda stuck cuz I can't move the speakers or have a dedicated listening room. 

Thoughts? 
jkf011

Showing 9 responses by jkf011

Well but am I not really screwing up the natural signal by "balancing?" Or am I not with the net result? 

As far as moving to the right a bit. I've done that and it seems to make little difference. Toeing them in more might but Maggie's are supposed to be toed in very little (like 10deg) and I am at like 15deg now (to account for big heavy entertainment center between and slightly behind them). 
That's the thing, I am not a dedicated audiophile like that. System needs to live in a much used great room and the "stuff" behind right is complicated house structure. Wife will not go for treatments. I have pics of the setup but dunno how to attach here. 
Eliot, Sorry, I have NO idea what you were talking about WRT that line conditioner. That whole thread just completely went over my head. 
No you're both wrong, CJ PV10AL DOES have one. Why would I have asked the question if it wasn't available to me? 

Phasing I have some understanding of. I have Stereophile test disc. What is an XLO disc?

I cannot afford, esp since it has a balance control, and would not risk replacing the CJ.  I have loved it for 20yrs and would have to spend a fortune (to me) to replace it.