Backup Generator transfer switch

In the past two issues of Stereophile, Michael Fremer has been discussing the disastrous results to the sound of his system after having a backup generator installed at his home. The system is not running on the generator, but he believes it has to do with the transfer switch that gets installed on the AC signal path.  He describes a pre-generator experience as "intense and emotionally elevating" afterwards "everything good was gone, two large ill-focused boomboxes had replaced absolute magic".  I recently moved and had been listening to my system prior to and after the installation of a Generac whole house generator, I did not notice any change in the sound, I can still sit and enjoy the music for hours with no sense of fatigue.  Perhaps my ears are shot or my equipment is not expensive enough.  Anyone here have any experiences with generator transfer switches?

Thanks
Ag insider logo xs@2xdeadlift
I do have my entire system connected to a Shunyata Research Denali V2 power distributor so maybe that’s the difference.

I had the PD before installation of my Generac 25kw stand by generator and as I said I noticed no difference.  Then again I have a mere mortals system compared to him.  

I am sure Mike F. Is not imagining the difference in his system.  Unless maybe he is, but he sounds convinced.  
I have a whole house generator behind my home and the generator is run on propane. I hear no difference (Thank God!) with the transfer switch. I do have 2 dedicated 20 amp lines for my system. I
never run my system or TV off the generator though.
I have a similar ATS, although mine is in the basement right next to the panels not outside. Fremer does add towards the end of his last article in Stereophile that it could have something to do with having over $800,000 dollars of a system (some of which is review products) and more expensive equipment can be more sensitive to issues.....Nothing I'll have to worry about.
I plan to install a Generac whole house after the disaster here in Texas and will be digging down with the same electrician that installed the subsystem I use to power the hi-fi, which is essentially a 60 amp feed from the main service entrance to a sub panel that goes into a 10kVA iso transformer and routes via 4 gauge to a sub panel dedicated to the system and from which are pulled dedicated lines. 
I have no interest in playing the system during any electrical back up period, but the Fremer experience was brought to my attention. Given that virtually all this electrical equipment is outside in close proximity to the service panel (no basement, just pier and beam construction), it should be possible to route this back up in a way that does not involve the switch but I'm not an electrician and haven't thought this through yet, let alone met with the electricians to discuss it. I had a terrific experience with them in installing the above described subsystem-- mainly commercial contractors, they really knew their stuff. I haven't focused on this yet, but if anybody has any thoughts, I'd certainly welcome them. Sorry to piggy back on your thread, @deadlift .
If all you do is add a transfer box, essentially nothing more than a box with some switches, one switch per circuit you want to be able to transfer, then no problem. That is what I did. When power cuts out I start up the generator, plug it in and use the transfer box switches to power the few circuits I want to keep running.  

This works great, no impact on SQ, but is manual and limited. The whole thing could be automated for a lot more money and still have no impact on SQ. 

But the reason for the lack of SQ impact is the whole thing is out of the circuit other than when in use. The minute you do anything that is in the circuit- ie connected- then it will degrade SQ no matter what. You might not hear it. From what I can tell a lot of people won't. Or you can imagine and exaggerate, like Fremer. 

Yes folks even Fremer can't get it right. One more example why of all the mountains of bull in audio none even comes close to the Himalayan Range of BS around AC.