B&W Speaker Score!

I have a pair of B&W 802 S2 that I like but have had the upgrade bug for a while.  A recent purchase of a pair of Thiel CS-5 fell through so I kept on looking for something interesting and a good deal.  I stumbled across a pair of B&W Nautilus 802 only a few hours away- the final purchase price is $2K.   The seller provided lots of detailed pics and they look great.  The only issues are one of the tweeters is dented (I just purchased a new one for $150) and there are no grilles, which isn't a deal breaker for me as I remove them anyways. 

I'm pretty excited to get them home and see how they sound with my Threshold S500/II and newly acquired Parasound P5.  I just wanted to share my find- the timing could not be better as it takes a bit of the sting out of tax day.

Cheers.
dastro

Showing 1 response by 4425

You hear what you hear. No way around it. Someone else may love them. Smart to not change system for speakers. My humble opinion is that great musical speakers show their merits even when not perfectly set up. If you have to tweek a bunch and try other gear for mating they aren't great speakers. Also think great audio gear will show its merits out of the box then get better. Moral to story in my opinion is that you shouldn't have to work hard or at all to determine if a product sounds good or not. 
You'll have to sell them as you'll never be happy with them but the next guy might. Best wishes.