B&W Signature Diamond : Anyboy heard them?

A couple of days ago I had the pleasure of auditioning the limited edition B&W Signature Diamond speaker powered by all Ayre gear.

I thought for a very small two way speaker they were superlative for the following reasons:

1) offered electrostatic speed and details with very natural timbres.

2) For such a small two way speaker it had great dynamics and bass extension. These would not do well in a very large acoustic environment, but that's not the reason way B&W built them, there for smaller listening spaces.

3) Totally open, you don't "hear" the speaker at all.

These speakers are quite expensive, the retail price is $17000.00, B&W is only going to build 500 pairs, but I think they out perform another highly regarded two way speaker, the Magico Mini, for almost $10000.00 less. So, if you were thinking of auditioning the Magico Mini, I would recommend you put on your list the Signature Diamond which is a floor standing speaker and does not need stands like the Minis, but are still very small in their footprint.
teajay
At first glance these new B&W's cabinet design remind me of some of Jacob George's Rethm speakers (the style of Rethm Seconds & footprint of the Rethm Thirds). B&W tossed a diamond tweeter on top for good measure.
Teajay,

I heard these speakers recently too--at Top Audio in Milan, driven by the CAT JL-2 amp, CAT SL-1 Ultimate pre, and AQ wires. Source was the top Esoteric two-box.

I also heard the Magico Minis with Spectral electronics and MIT wires.

I completely agree with your assessment regarding the quality of the new Signature Diamonds. And I have NOT been a fan of B&W speakers. These SDs are a good departure for B&W. Your description of them is spot-on--"very natural timbres" and "great dynamics and bass extension."

But the Magico Minis aren't any lessers, to my hearing. Their sound is quite different--neutral, linear, transparent, and extremely sensitive to whatever electronics or signal is matched with them. I was impressed at how different they sounded with Spectral electronics as opposed to the BAT equipment I'd heard them with at the last CES.

Still, you're quite right to mention the price difference--about $9K less for the SDs. And, in the dark finish, I think they'd be better looking than in the white.

You're generous to share this news with the A'goN community. Thanks.