B&W Signature 805s v. Merlin TSM-Ms ?

I am looking for small, monitor-type high-end speakers to sit on end-tables in a 18x20 foot room. Wife doesn't want large and loud; I like clarity. I have a sub if necessary. I've heard the 805Sigs. and liked them, haven't heard the Merlins, though recommended to me. Suggestions/comments re these and/or others most welcome.
mgoldmd

Showing 3 responses by sbank

You really should check out all the user reviews of these on audioreview.com. I've seen comments there from happy TSM owners, who had previously owned 805s.
Although I agree with Italy71's comments, the TSMs do mate well with many solid state amps. If you call Bobby at Merlin and talk with him, I bet he will be happy to personally make some recommendations to you, based on your needs, preferences and budget. Personally, I'd always recommend going with tubes, but the TSM can work well either way. Cheers,
Spencer
If the spouse who won't allow speaker stands gets a vote, she'll probably like the Merlins much better than the "eyeball" tweeter array on the B&Ws.
I'm sure if Mgoldmd posted an "Any Merlin owners near X" post, he'd find a place to check them out pretty easily...
Cheers, Spencer
Maxxc,
The Merlins are only 8 inches wide by 10-1/2 inches deep by 16 inches high. Certainly not much difference in size from the B&Ws in question, or the other speaker you mentioned.
Cheers, Spencer