B&W Signature 800 Vs. the new 800D Diamond

Does anyone here has a chance to listen to the new B&W 800D (Diamond)? How do you like it and how does it compare to the 800 Signature?

The 800 Signature Red Bird Eye goes for about $13K and the new 800D goes for $16K. Which one would you rather take?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Huy
htong

Showing 10 responses by brianmgrarcom

Washline, while I don't doubt your experience, it doesn't correlate to the majority of the experince I have heard from others, including mine (not with the 800's). While I wouldn't turn down a great deal on Signatures because they are a very nice speaker and I like the finish too, but given the choice I'd take the new D versions every time.
I'd like to take that challenge Dan, I think I could detect the Diamond tweeter everytime.
Dan, while I know you are having some fun with this, what experience are you basing your claims / opinions? Do you own Sigs?
No problem Dan and I will expose my 'intent' of the questions. 1) I wanted to know if you had actual experience between the two and 2) there was a small part wondering if maybe you are not wanting the new versions to be better than what you own. :)

Anyway, I have owned the Signature 805's, a long way from the S800's, and I own the 802D's and I believe there is a difference in the tweeter. Either way, both are great speakers IMO, so if someone purchases either of the 800's they should be happy.

As with you, I have my opinion(s), I also like the Sig finish, but the aethetics of the 802D's are beautiful in my eyes and given the opportunity to purchase Sig 800's or 800D's at or about the same price, I'd take the D's with all their improvements without a hesitation.
As I said the first time Washline, I do not doubt your experience, I believe you heard what you heard, I am simply saying apples-to-apples I do not think that will be the results.
Hi Washline,

I hope you don’t mind me interjecting here. I believe that John understands what you are saying as I do and I expect we are all closer than we are farther apart. If this post would have been different, such as, “Classe vs. Esoteric”, would you have replied that you feel Classe seemed colored?

Out of two full and separate systems you heard you are giving the entire credit of their sonic difference(s) to the speakers.

Once again I will state that we are not arguing what you heard.
YMMV = Your mileage may vary.

All I can say to your post Washine is that I simply don’t agree with your logic and quite frankly found it contradictory or at least confusing. Also, I never accused you of giving a review, I have understood your experience from your first post. Nonetheless I am not trying to convince you to like the D’s nor do I have hurt feelings.
Geez Washline, I just don't know how many times I have to repeat myself! Once again, I have no problem if you like the Signatures better. Is that clear enough?

As for how you determined that I disagree with that 100%.

Here is where I find your post contradictory or confusing.

Your posted a quote from me,

"Out of two full and separate systems you heard you are giving the entire credit of their sonic difference(s) to the speakers."

And then you replied,

No. In two full and separate rooms, I preferred one set of speakers over an other and reported that fact to a person trying to make up his mind about both of them.

So you replid no to what I stated then followed it up by saying exactly that.

This whole discussion is longer than need be, I understand you prefer the Signatures, that is fine, I disagree, so be it.
Already been there Jungsan, I've read 1 post that questioned this, I also read another that says 100% the opposite. If you read this thread carefully, while I do say I believe there is a difference, my arguement has to do with how Washline came to his conclusion.
You found me out Washline, my whole motive is because I have the new D speakers, whatever. As for me being shrill, I suppose I could say the same, but I apologize it came of that way. I have made it abundantly clear how I feel on this issue, the thread is simply hijacked and the same things being repeated.

Enjoy.