B&W Nautilus 804s and clipping

Hello there - this is my first post and I'd be grateful for any help you folks can offer me.

I'm building my first home stereo setup right now after years of waiting. The first component will be a used pair of B&W Nautilus 804s which I've found for a pretty good price.

My question is this: how can I tell whether the speakers have suffered somehow due to clipping? The reason I'm worried is that the guy I'm buying from has been running them off a Harmon Kardon AVR-3000 receiver (with 50W output in stereo mode). Isn't this likely to have caused some damage if he's been working the amp too hard? If so, will the tweeter etc. sound noticeably different from normal or will they just completely fail to produce sound?

I was only able to audition them using his amp, not having yet bought my own. Is it necessary to hear these with, for example, a power amp to know whether they are in good condition sonically?

Sorry to labour the point(s). Hope some of you can help!
borntorun
borntorun

Showing 2 responses by borntorun

Thanks for your help, everyone. I feel a bit more confident about buying these now since various familiar CDs sounded fine right across the spectrum.
Thanks again for all the help. I'm now running these with a Musical Fidelity A300 and they are sounding great. There are no problems at all with the tweeters but, yes, I have noticed that they are not given much work to do compared to the other drivers.

Currently deciding on the best-sounding speaker cables and planning to buy a Rega Apollo pretty soon...