B&W Nautilus 803's and Plinius SA-102??

Has anyone tried this combo? I've been searching for an amp to use for 2 channel only and to be honest everytime I think I've found "the" one I start to have doubts. I know I should listen myself at the dealers, but I feel extremely guilty going into dealers and wasting their time when there is no way in hell I'm going to buy this stuff retail. Been there...done that and took a bath when I changed my mind.

Anyway, I'm interested in a used Theta Dreadnaught II, Pass Labs X250 or lately the Plinius SA 102. I'd like the SA250IV, but at $5000 used it's quite a bit more than the SA 102. I don't think I'd like the Levinson stuff, but I might be up to the newer Classe amps. Bryston doesn't seem to give me what I need either. I wouldn't mind a tube amp. I looked at the Premier 140, but that's $5000 used too. Seems to me with the Plinius I get tube sound with SS slam and at under $3000 used with the SA 102 it seems like a good compromise.

I'm going to eventually pair this with either a tube pre like the CJ 17LS or run a CD player direct like the Resolution Audion Opus 21 or something like that.

I listen to ALL kinds of music, BUT it must sound good playing Jazz and Blues and specifically Robert Cray and Patricia Barber as they are on my frequent play list. I also listen to rock too...like Korn.

Any thoughts would be helpful.
busaganashi

Showing 1 response by gholdswo

I used the 803's with the SA-102 for the last year,
and was very happy with the combination. (I used these with
both the CD-Lad preamp and with a C-J Premier 17LS.)
I found the combination you particularly good for acoustic guitar and blues, and especially with the CD-Lad fairly decent for rock.