B&W Nautilus 800 vs 802D

I have noticed that the 802D's have started to come down in price and it's not unusual to find a pair of 800's at the same asking price here in Audiogon. I am shopping around and would like to know what other Audiogoners think about these two speakers? I have listend to the 802D's and liked them but not the 800's. I like the looks of the 800 but than again the weight of the 800's might be an issue. I will be loooking to match them up with McIntosh equipment. Specifically a MC-402 and C46.
Side Note: B&W is interesting because so many people have opinions on the speakers. I have owned the 805's, 803's, and 802's. I agree that these speaker's aren't perfect but for the price and sound, I think there really good. I personally have only heard one speaker that blows the 802D's out of the water and that was the Wilson's Maxx, but people forget that speaker's like Wilson and JM Focal Utopia costs thousands more.
I also think B&W works universally well with most audio products on the market. Some speakers you have to be careful what equipment you match them up with. Just my thoughts of B&W.
128x128musicaudio
Anyone that thinks the signature 800 is the same as the nautilus 800 with a fancy finish doesn't know about B&W. That's simply not true. First, listen to them, you will notice they don't sound the same. Second, B&W will tell you, the tweeter is different, the woofers are different, there is more bracing in the cabinet, and the crossover is different. Other than that, they are pretty much the same.

Further more, the difference between the N802 and the 802D are extensive. They went from a high order cross over to a first order crossover. That in itself is a huge difference, without even mentioning the diamond tweeter.
I usually avoid these subjective discussions but after reading Mrchips statements about B&W speakers I feel somewhat compelled. The new diamond tweeter technology is a real marvel. The tweeters are absolutely not harsh, rather they are very articulate, accurate and, my favorite descriptor, quietly delicate. Essentially, the only thing that the 802N has in commom with the 802D is exterior appearance. Otherwise they are totally different. The 802D's crossover has been simplified achieving, IMHO, breathtaking results. As far as the bass, I totally disagree with Mrchips. I use a Bryston 14bsst ss amp along with a tube preamp to push the 802D's and achieve a bass that I can literally feel in the middle of my chest. The bass is not only deep and palpable, but startlingly defined...never boomy. The bass, coupled with the new midrange crossover and the new tweeter produces a gorgeous result with no real sound relation to the 802N. For the record, are there better speakers than the 802D's? Of course there are! But when we begin comparing speakers to different models of Porshe's all objectivity is thrown out the window.
First of all I currently own both the N800 and Signature 800, they are the same exact speaker other than cabinetry.

I have one pair at my Jersey shore house and the other at my main estate.

*Here is the little passage quoted from Stereophile's June 2002 review of the Signature 800.

"Under the skin, the Signature 800 and its plain vanilla (!) Nautilus version ($16,000/pair) are identical, so the foregoing description—and, indeed, all the following comments about performance—should apply equally to the less expensive, non-Signature version".

And here is the link:
http://www.stereophile.com/loudspeakerreviews/600/

Now believe what you want I really could give too sh__ what you think. Hey it's your opinion. I speak the facts.

The N800 was the only speaker in the (Nautilus line) to have exact same specs as a Signature series in this case Signature 800. The N801, N802,... were different than the Signature series. The N800 was released much later out of the Nautilus series. My Nautilus 800 was made in 2004 and while rest of the Nautilus line was discontinued. The Signature 800 and N800 are the only two identical ; other than cabinetry.

The N801, N802... are Not in the same class as an N800.
How many N800's do you see for sale. The rare time I've seen one N800 it sold for $9500 first day it was advertised.

The 802D is a fine speaker but not in the league of a N800.

Diamond series other than a "Different" tweeter did do some mod with the X-over to give a faster response. But again it's a matter of taste when you are listening to a 800D verse N800 /and or Signature 800.

I personally would not buy a 802D over a N800. It's a step down if you do so. And again N800 vs 800D is a fair comparison. A matter of taste between these exceptional speakers.

Say no more.
MrChips, a couple things..1) I had never heard before that the N800 and the Signature 800 are the same, except the finish, contrary to the other Signature Series vs. Nautilus, please forgive me if this is the case. 2) I find your recent comments much easier to receive than your first. You had stated, "The 802D's are in essence N802's with a mod diamond tweeter which in fact is harsher and not as natural sounding." This could not be farther from the truth, the changes from the N802 to the 802D are very extensive and I certainly don't agree with your assessment of the tweeters, but as you say, to each their own.