B&W Nautilus 800's vs my Tannoy D-700's ???

I'm contemplating trading "up" to the Nautilus.

Will I be blown away by the difference (better) sound?

Right now, I'm happy.... got oodles of power with 2 MacIntosh 352's bi-wired to these Tannoys, as many suggest to get the best out of them. But....

I'm looking for audio heaven and think these speakers are now the weak link in my system.

Opinions please? And, thanks in advance.

Oh, one other thing...I can't find anyone in all of Atlanta who has the 800's set up in a listening room! What do I do, buy these speakers on the basis of all the good reviews? Has anyone out there compared high end speakers they have with something else not yet purchased? How did you do it?

John
jbatlanta

Showing 1 response by audioquest4life

I had a friend ovr who own some Tannoy's. He has one of the 15" models paired with Mac 275's. I run tube amps with N800's. He was impressed, but stated that the midbass riffs stand out a little more with the Tannoys, but, he liked the imaging, highs, and spatial dimension on my system compared to his. A Stereo review or some other magazine described the Tannoy 15's models as having an added bass bump from 150-300hz, which in part, adds to the efficiency to the Tannoy's. My room is completely measured and acoustically treated, matched with some german tube amps.

If you like what you have already, I would stay with that, otherwise, going to B&W N800s would require you to match amps and carefully treat the room, a hassle for some. These are things I have done to allow me to enjoy my B&W's.

Ciao,
Audioquest4life