B&W N804 System Upgrade - Cary CD?

B&W N804 Speakers, Bryston 3B-ST Amp, Velodyne Subs, B&K AC3/DTS Surround Sound Processor, Sony DVD/CD player, Adcom 5 disc carosel, N Center, B&W Bipolar Rears, Synergistic interconnect, along with Kimber. I recently connected my N804s to a 300W Classe, and a 250W Bryson, used a Classe pre, and the Cary CD 301. Both amps created a fantastic sound stage reproducing a real life experience (just like a jazz club). By far the best listening experience ever, no price dependencies and systems in great stores. Noticed that the Cary CD sounded gave a great soundstage and separation. However, it my be giving up a little too much in detail and does not have HDCD. I'm looking for recommendations on going with any of the following upgrades: (1st choice) Cary CD 301 or 303 (2nd) Bryston 3BST to bi-amp the N804s (3rd) 250+W Bryston or another great amp (4th) Sony 9000ES DVD/SACD player (5th) Better pre/surround sound processor I think my CD is in dtrastic need of an overhaul, and I want to get the best sound out of my system. (60% Audio, 40% Movies)
ftbuckeye

Showing 1 response by sedond

get a nice tubed pre - for the money, it's the most cost-effective way to get good digital sound. a great pre & a $500 cd player will beat a great cd player run straight-in, everyday, imho, even if the cd-player was designed to be run straight-in. of course, the great cd-player may be better than the $500 unit, when run thru the pre, but it's yust not cost-effective - yule get very little improvement. besides, why dump a lot of money into a digital format now - who knows what the record companies will be making in a year from now? and, a great preamp should improve *all* your sources...

doug

ps - if ya want to keep the h-t processor, there are many pre's w/a default processor loop that allows the processor to control *all* the speakers, when in h-t mode; when listening to audio-only, the h-t electronics are not in the signal-path...