B&W N 805 vs. N 805 Sig. Opinions?

Are the sig 805's really that much better than the regular 805s. I hate paying for just cosmetics.

Thanks,

Dr Ken
drken

Showing 7 responses by bluebull

Premium you are paying is to much.Better alternatives eg.JM Lab Micro Utopia.Merlin TSM-MM OR MX perhaps?I went from CDM 1 NT to Revel M20's(better than Naut 805) and now ordered Merlin VSM-MM's.Also considered 805 Signatures but Just to expensive for what you getting.New 800 series due for release soon.If stuck on B&W perhaps wait for that.I believe there are better alternatives.
Good Luck
Dr Chris
Anaesthesiologist
South Africa
There are no facts in Audio,only opinions.Does your opinion make it a fact then ?Who says there is no experience on the matter at hand?I do agree take it home for a trial.Do it even better,take all my suggestions home for a trial.Please read the reviews on the suggestions,which are also not really facts but well informed opinions !
To Dr Ken and Brian
Thanks
Dr Chris
Dr Ken
I think Bigtee answered your question.Same sound, less cosmetics for less Dollar.This answers your original concern about paying for cosmetics.You can even consider the 705's(EISA speaker of the year).Considered by many to be superior to the standard 805 Naut.This may also be a lateral move if you indeed own the 805 Naut.At least you are looking at the high end Two way -my favourite as well.
I still maintain that after listening to the 805 Naut and 805 Signatures you have to consider the Focal JM lab Micro Utopia Be and the Merlin TSM-MM or MX.The choice between the MM and MX will depend if you are using ss or Valve based Amplification.You can also take my route and go for the VSM's.Your choice.
Good Luck and enjoy.
Dr Chris
Brian and Dr James
Perhaps now you understand my original response to Dr Ken's question regarding paying too much of a premium for the Signature version.If you read again you'll see that I did mention the new 800 series.This was confirmed by Bigtee.
Shurely you must agree that Dr Ken's concern was valid.
Perhaps it is not Dr Ken who are going to pay the premium but you guys because you own the Signatures.Never did I say the Signatures are not fine sounding speakers- I think they are excellent speakers.As are the alternatives mentioned.I think our discussion gives Dr Ken more insight into the matter and he is the one that is going to benefit in making the right decission ,not for us but for HIMSELF!
Actually we are all Batting for the same side!
If we all agreed ,there would be no use for this Forum.
Thanks
Dr Chris
Brian
Think the $2500 version wont be called Signature.More likely 805 Naut MK 2 or Series two or 805 SE. In other words will look like 805 Naut but with the "inside "of the 805 Signature.Perhaps Bigtree has more info.I got my info from the Export Manager of a Premier European Audio company.This Person has a friend who was working on the project in the UK .This issue is also currently discussed on Aasylum.But I must say this does not suprise me as I see it as typical B&W modus operandi.They are very good marketers.I think I can say this as I have been a B&W owner myself.Perhaps that is why I am moving to less "Flavour of the month"type of long term audio solutions.My remarks are not intended to be negative,just my opinion on observations over a couple of years.All this does not change the fact that the 805 Sign are indeed very good loudspeakers.

Dr Chris
My feelings the same.Now perhaps my original remarks regarding "better alternatives" can be better understood.Hope Dr Ken is reading our writings.
Thanks
Blue Bull of SA
Cannot give any comment.Have no idea what B&W costs in US.I'll have to compare $2500 relative to what the other models in their lineup costs.Then will be able to put in perspective
Prediction:Cost will be much closer to 805Naut than 805Signt.But this is not really an informed opinion.Perhaps Bigtee can shed some light on that.