B W Matrix 803s - Tighten up the bass

First, let me say how wonderful if feels to see the VERY GENEROUS support from the WORLD'S audiophiles for those affected most by this tragedy via the charity auctions.

I'm pretty new to audio. I have a small listening room (home office) and have put together a nice little system (used stuff from audiogoners) - B&W Matrix 803 - Series I (one bass driver) on Sound Anchor stands, Plinius 8150, Linn Ikemi, Onkyo T9090II tuner, HT Truthlink ICs, HT Pro9 biwire cables, Black Mamba PC to Plinius, JPS Digital PC to Ikemi. No dedicated circuit, but no loads on the existing circuit except the audio system. Hospital-grade outlets.

I would like to "tighten us the bass" in my system. The speakers were manufactured in 1986 and appear to be in very good condition.

I would appreciate any suggestions that don't require spending a ton of money, or suggestions on similar threads that I may research.

Thank you,
Joel in Fort Worth
joeldoss

Showing 1 response by mikec

All responces are correct and helpful. In addition to eveyones excellent advice i have found that the cables and different combinations can make a profound difference. You are already using good equipment and cabling. Finding a good dealer willing to loan you different kinds and combinations of cable can be a very inlightning experience. This does take alot of patience and time. You will have to allow at least 2 or 3 days for different combos of cable to settle in, especially for the bass. For example i have experimented with Acoustic Zen Santori spk cable and Kimber Bi-Focal and MIT 2 double runs with a similar different ics, bal and SE, copper and silver etc. I have found with my system the differences in sound to be like night and day. All cables used are quality but different designs. I have found the Kimber Bi-Focal xl and even the less expensive Monacle X to be superior using a Stealth 20ft Bal silver M7 with my components. The Kimber's bass and the rest of the freq responce is magical. The difference in bass was stunning. What worked well in my system doesn't mean it will do the same for your situation or the next system. I'm just saying that trying different cable combinations can improve your bass. It is also very important to address what the others have already stated. Power cords can have the same effect. Anyone who doesn't think that cables do not make a difference have just not taken the time to experiment. My speakers are full range and the difference that cable has made is just stunning. Having some knowledge of cable can help save time in chooseing the combinations to try. Experienced dealers can also be very helpful. Reading here on A'gon is priceless. Some members are very very accurate and extremly helpful for someone willing to take the time and are serious about their sound.