B&W Matrix 802s3 Xover upgrade

I have the matrix 802series3 speakers and have a problem with a crossover. Ill have it fixed but for not much more money would love to totally rebuild the Xovers with higher quality parts and really push the envelopwe on the performance of the speakers. The question is:
Has anyone done this and do you think they will out perform the Nautilus 802's. I was going to upgrade to the Nautilus but this could be cheaper and better. I know the after market outboard xovers by other manufacturers such as Northcreek music boost the performance. I love these spkrs and want to keep them.
128x128poloman
Get the NC's and Sound Anchor stands(upgrade the footers and use BDR squares/pits betweren the stand/footers for further isolation).

The cabinet and midrange encloses will respond to Microsan vibration plates placed at the rear.
They are on dedicated soundanchor stands and bi wired Im looking for more than a tweak
The problem is changing for better parts may not always give you a better sound. The crossover is designed with all the parts contributing to give the sound the designer intended. If you change one the balance is changed and you have to know what to do to restore it. That is if you want the kind of sound you have now, just better. Don't underestimate the improvement you can get by "tweaks". Changing the internal wiring on my Spendor S 100s to the same type as my main cables [Cardas] gave a considerable improvement without altering the "voicing" of the speaker. I contemplated both going through the existing crossover and going to active drive but decided the problems were more than I wanted to deal with.
Im not going to spend $2,200 on NC crossovers for spkrs worth under $2K this upgrade will be about $400
If you're in doubt, get the Nautilus. Swapping parts will still cost you and the basic price won't include labor( dyi?). The NC's are more than tweaks as the the Krell, Anodyne and JPS Golden Flute alignment filters. Let us know how much you saved.
Its costing me around $400. Getting the nautilus after selling my spkrs would be about $3000 extra.
If you want the N802, just get them. If you have to wait to save the $3k, then wait. Are you going to have a TV between them(if you get the N802's)?
Ill have a 65" plasma on the wall behind them. theres a 56" dlp RPTV now but trying to sell it. I get my 802's back next week cant wait to hear them.
Well, picked up my 802's yesterday and hooked them up. FYI: replaced 5 capaciters per speaker. replaced the mid/tweeter Xover board with Sonicaps. The bass caps were replaced with Dayton caps. Ill need probably 100-200 hrs of breakin but after 10 hrs . I like what I hear. Not a hint of distortion or breakup. Rock solid bass. the soundstage is a little smaller but that should get better. And a hint of brightness in the upper mids and treble. Hoping that will all smooth out in time. the soundstage has opened up after 10 hrs. so all will be better in time. stay tuned.
Oh, parts and Labor total $500 so a relatively cheap fix, for much improved speakers.
Performance Improvements

Detail: North Creek Crossover Components are as free of parasitics as modern technology allows. Consequently, the amount of information passed through the North Creek crossovers and to the drivers is far greater than through the original crossovers. This does not change the tonality of the loudspeaker, nor does it alter its overall character. There is simply more "there" there.

Texture: Because of the increased level of information, every nuance of each instrument is clearly revealed. The amount of rosin on the bow, the endless shimmer of a cymbal, the snap of a drum head; subtleties that when absent limit the illusion. Our networks are far more revealing, and far more convincing.

Sound stage: The subtle ambiance and dimensional cues that recreate a believable sense of space tend to be absorbed by parasitics within the stock crossover components, resulting in a sound stage that is locked in the plane of the loudspeakers and bordered by the driver positions. Elimination of these parasitics moves the sound stage behind the loudspeakers and recreates a tremendous sense of volume from those recordings where the information is present. Sound stage width, height, and depth are greatly improved.

Focus: Although there is no mathematical basis to define image focus, correct sizing and stability of specific images is at least partially a product of driver matching and intercomponent variation in the crossover network. B&W matches the raw drivers at their factory to within 1 dB, which is excellent. Component variations within the factory networks are ±5%, which also can amount to ±1 dB of variation. The result is possible variation of up to 4 dB within left/right pairs. Believe it or not, this is considered quite good for a production loudspeaker.

The North Creek Networks are constructed of raw components hand matched to ±1%, 500% better than the stock network. The resulting maximum left/right pair variation is dominated by driver variation and limited to 2.2 dB.

Our level of pair matching, the clarity of our crossover components, and the excellence of the original design gives the updated loudspeaker extraordinary focus. On properly recorded performances, the precision, correct sizing and placement of individual performers is unprecedented.

Dynamics: Loosely defined as the difference between the loudest and quietest sound of a passage, the dynamics of the stock loudspeaker are constrained by the dynamic instability of the components in the original network. This is called dynamic compression, and can be detected as a lack of impact in the low end, hardness and a lack of clarity in the midrange, and in the upper frequency range as a masking of detail. Dynamic compression occurs both with transient information that is much louder than the average playback level, and with continuous mid-level playback.

One source of dynamic compression in the stock networks is sand cast resistors, which have a temperature coefficient (Tc) of about 400ppm/°C; that is, their resistance increases substantially when they operate at higher temperatures. Because they heat up instantaneously as current passes through them, they have a higher resistance to loud sounds than they do to quiet sounds - so they let proportionally less of the loud sounds through. North Creek Resistors have a Tc of less than 50ppm/°C, 800% better than sand cast resistors, and are not a source of dynamic compression.

The stock 801 and 802 crossover networks also use ferrite cored inductors throughout. Ferrite cored inductors suffer from dynamic compression through a phenomenon known as hysteresis, where energy is wasted through switching the magnetic direction of the ferrite. So much energy is lost in this manner that if one were to put their ear against the inductor during a musical passage, one would hear the core "humm along," acting precisely like a solenoid.

The North Creek Crossovers use strictly air-cored inductors, and absolutely do not suffer from hysteresis distortion. So when a bass drum goes "boom" through the stock crossover, it goes "WHAM!" through the North Creek version.

Harmonic Integrity: The most endearing quality of the stock 801 and 802 is their natural overall presentation of the musical event. This can at least be partially attributed to their ruler-flat frequency response, excellent dispersion, and extremely broad bandwidth.

Because the North Creek Crossovers are not redesigns of the original units, they do not change any of these characteristics. However, because they let so much more information through, the harmonic integrity of the loudspeakers is improved.

Musicality: This is the one true measure of a loudspeaker, and in this aspect, beyond all others, the North Creek Crossovers excel. The modified 801 and 802 become much more involving, much more convincing, and much more enjoyable. In short, they are much more musical loudspeakers. Everything that the originals do so well, they will now do better.

------------------------------------
He said the upgrade was $500. I don't know why he cut/pasted NC Xover info. When I mentioned the NC upgrade, he was resistant.
Just put up the NC info so you get an idea of what improvements are possible. I have over 100 hrs on them now. and they are amazing. Just a capaciter upgrade is all it took. why spend $2200 on $2000 speakers, not necesary. Anyone with Matrix 802's, look into this upgrade. I also upgraded my DAC to the Musical Fidelity tri-vista 21. Unreal soundstaging and imaging. Where as I had the "heads" toed in pretty much , now they are straight ahead and I get the same center images
so you had the cap's replaced on the OE boards. Was it an easy fix or did you send them out to have done?
Had it done , if you read the threads you would know the whole story. Well they are plenty broken in now and the sound is amazing with pinpoint imaging and wide soundstage. Im sure the new dac helps, but im very happy. Treble is sweet and crystaline. Havent heard the 802 Nautilus in a long time but Im sure these are just as good.
i'm local. can you tell me where you had them upgrade done. thinking of doing it as well.