B&W Matrix 801 Series 2 speakers

I happened to buy the B&W 801 S2 speakers locally as I was looking for speakers for 2 ch set up and came across a good deal on these last week. They came with matching Arcici that can be sand-filled but for now I have the speakers on the stands without sand or spikes yet - They are currently set up in a pretty good size living room with 2-store vaulted ceiling.

I have Adcom GTP-502 preamp and Anthem MCA 2 amplifier powering the speakers and 801’s sound good but I have read they can sound great with great components. I’m also aware that a bass alignment filter will help so I’m keeping an eye on eBay to find that.

My question is if the preamp and amp combo I have are good enough for the speakers. I’m budget conscious so don’t want to spend huge amount of money to upgrade equipment for small improvement in sound but willing to wait finding a good used equipment at a reasonable price. I have a chance to get a Sunfire Cinema Grande 5-ch amp that can be bridged to produce 400wpc. Would that provide a noticeable improvement in sound?

cherishzm

Showing 3 responses by erik_squires

P.S. - This isn't a new idea, vintage B&W as well as KEF speaker owners have used a miniDSP to substitute for the missing little boxes. It works really well.
Hi Cherish,
Just like the B&W alignment filter, you put the miniDSP between your preamp and your amp, and use it to EQ the bass response. You probably can find online documentation showing exactly what EQ was used, but I'd use it as a general guide.

If you are using them away from the walls, use the EQ to boost your bass a little, but since miniDSP is so flexible, you can also use it to help remove room modes.

Alternatively, get an Anthem pre or integrated which has all this built in.

Best,
E
You’ll probably find this Stereophile page interesting, as it goes into detail about the usefulness of the bass alignment filter.

Given how you are using them, a miniDSP between your pre and amp will probably be a better idea, since you can not only re-create the BAF ’s effects, but you can clip any room nodes.

Works best with proper room acoustics.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/bw-matrix-801-series-2-loudspeaker-measurements