B&W matrix 801 s2 still a relavant speaker.

is B&W matrix 801 s2 still a relavant speaker in todays world and worth keeping.
digital3

Showing 5 responses by ct0517

Perhaps they're the only dynamic speakers that should be plugged into a wall outlet! (Just kidding)

Yes – that is how my S3 are set up - not kidding.

The OTL’s are a constant waiting power source. Speakers can be connected and unconnected at any time. Unfazed by impedance changes 1 – to the 40-80 ohms which are required for good ESL Bass.

After 19 years ownership of my S3’s I found this statement from Stereophile to be right on the mark.

Stereophile

"Higher in frequency, the response trend (averaged across a 30 degrees lateral window on the tweeter axis) is basically flat, but with a slight excess of energy in the presence region and a corresponding lack of energy in the top octave. All things being equal, this will make the speaker both a little too revealing of recorded detail and somewhat fussy when it comes to the quality of source and amplification components, just as LL noted in his auditioning comments."

801 S2 versus S3.

S3 has no protection circuit - also.
There is another difference between the S3 and S2 that is not well known. Interaction between the large inductor in the midrange section interacting with the large inductor in the bass section. The fix is simple, move one of the inductors to eliminate the magnetic interaction. B&W used this technique in the S3. It is discussed here

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=96020.0

I have also owned 801f and 802, 803 and 805 all matrix version the last I still have stored. 802 and 801 are two different beasts.
Dave72
What do you make of the anniversary edition? Same as the 2's? Or 3's? Or better than both?

Hi Dave
My own understanding is it was a special model (B&W marketing) – Pre S3 - to celebrate the 25 years. The only one I saw was all white in the tradition of the B&W Electrostatic Speaker DM70 Continental – remember Clockwork Orange.

It included some or all ? of the updates that ended up in the s3 version. B&W parts show only s2 – s3 so there are no unique Anniversary parts. B&W support can confirm this for you.

Some 801 S3 versus S2 changes.

S3 used a different crossover than s2 - less component count.
Better isolated mid and hf boards.
Bass inductors with an iron dust core .
Rotating midrange – tweeter head assembly was permanently connected. (from 3 to 4 pin delivering separate ground signals to midrange and tweeter)
Magnetic fluid cooling of the tweeter (like the 800 matrix) - the reason the apoc protection eliminated (circuits needed for this were also removed)

B&W marketing discusses the sound from these changes as cleaner, detailed and warmer.

All this information is available in the manuals

here for each version.

The guys at b&w support are really nice. They can explain the differences better. They are the ones that sent me the impedance and frequency response graphs in my virtual page that i show.
They are also the ones that talked me out of changing the crossover on my s3's when I was thinking about it; explaining how the engineers refined the S3 over the S2. At $5500 back then the s3 was known to be well under priced based on the market. How much is $5500 in todays dollars ?

Also as this is a business like all businesses - imo - we need to remember that up to Matrix is all John Bowers’ vision. What followed after his passing was a new B&W direction and vision with Morten Warren

The price doubled with the next version.

Cheers
07-18-13: Zenblaster
I just sold a pair for over $1500- and the guy drove over 200 miles to get them, so at least one other person finds them relevant.

Zenblaster – I agree with Dave, you gave that guy quite a deal.

I drove 10 hours one way and back within 30 hours to pick up my 801 s3 in 1994. I hooked them up the next day in our living room which had an 800 series matrix HT system setup at the time; on the main raised floor (wood beams) of our house. Put on the first couple tunes. The house started shaking. I remember thinking “holy Jesus” My wife came in and wanted to know what was going on. She looked at the speakers, figured it out and told me – “they have to go”. Our fraternal twins were 1 year old at the time. I pleaded and pleaded and agreed to isolate them. My dedicated room build started later that week in our basement.
Are the twins becoming good little audio kids?

Hi Zenblaster - like other soon to be 19 year olds; they love their music but its delivered through plugs in the ears and a source that follows them around. This source device also enables them to make phone calls, gps the closest pizza place and take pictures and videos. :^)
They and the friends that have seen the 801’s think they are a couple of really big subs on stands with two funny looking smaller speakers on top.

btw - r u in the blasting industry ? based on your moniker.

Cheers Chris

Both occupations - blasting and setting up audio/video in nightclubs require ear protection. :^)

cheers