B&W Matrix 800

Hi there,

What pre-amp and power amp go well with the Matrix 800??

I prefer mono-blocks.

On the moment I am using Aragon palladium K1 two on each side. And the Theta CasaNova. Now I know that I can do better on the pre because this is a HT pre. But is Pal K1 the way to go???

On the moment they do not sound to bad but, on low volumes they miss transparancie and they can be more musical I think.
Whitch combo will let my speakers sing???

Maybe: 7B SST, Classe Omnicron, Pass X600, Levinson......
anybody????

(I prefer a pre with a pass tru channel)

Anybody have any experience with these speakers???

please help me out here

Thx

Alex

texas25

Showing 1 response by dollysowner

I had a pair of M800's (upgraded to Signature 800's). I initially used a Threshold S450E which was fine. I then tried a Goldmund 9.5++ and a Goldmund 29, each of which sounded great, but neither of which was reliable. I then finally upgraded to Levinson 33H's, which were (and are) out of this world (be sure you have a dedicated 20 amp circuit for each one, though). I tried the Bryston 7B's, and they left me cold.

If you don't have one, I strongly recommend that you try to find an old Krell bass alignment filter for use with the M800's. The standard one from B&W is not very good, and if you don't use any bass alignment filter, you won't hear what the M800's can do in the bass region. With the Krell, they are truly awesome.