B&W 805D alternatives

I've got the upgrade bug and want to get a new pair of speakers. I currently have a pair of 805D's with the following: McIntosh MC275, VTL 2.5 preamp, Moon .5 CD player, Concept Turntable with Moon phono stage, all cables and interconnects are Nordost. I have the opportunity to home audition a pair of Sonus-Faber Olympica I.
I would like some suggestions on what would be a good upgrade. I would sell my speakers and put $2000 towards the new pair.
maddog66blue

Showing 1 response by courant

I've auditioned Sonus Faber in a shop that used a MC275 for the power plant and it sounded REAL NICE. I auditioned the Cremona Auditor, but think the SF Olympica I would be a nice step up from the 805Ds.

FWIW I just sold my 805Ds, which had been in a Linn System. I upgraded from the B&Ws to Harbeths. I then sold the 805Ds because the Ayre Ax-7e in my media room second system didn't provide enough power. Essentially, decided to keep the Ayre & sell the 805Ds. I'm currently running the Ayre with some profoundly inexpensive Pioneer SP-BS41LRs as I plan my next move.

I don't recommend Harbeths with your Mcintosh MC275, but the Sonus Fabers might be a good way to go.