B&W 805 to 804

I have the N805's in my system now,but have a good chance of upgrading to the 804's. My one concern is the size of my room. It's 15'by 15' by 7'. I sit 9 feet back now from the 805's and there are 8' feet apart. The 804's will be in the same place,but with them being a larger speaker will I be able to enjoy them at lower levels?
Main pieces are Anthem AVM 30,ATI 1807,Denon 2900.
The smaller speakers are fine but but that dedicated mid range is nice. Little Help Guys.
coach-duplicate-0

Showing 1 response by shadorne

The upgrade will be well worth it. Contrary to popular belief, well designed large speakers do not need to be played loud in order to sound good. It is actually the other way round, they sound so good and lively (transient response) that you can't help the urge to turn them up. Small two way speakers start distorting and compressing much sooner than larger three way speakers and that is the reason nobody likes to crank 'em and you never see these designs in a nightclub.

Another factor is that smaller designs are often intentionally built to sound "big" in the bass at low levels (recall equal loudness curves and that big bass sound in a small box sells speakers - usually a hump between 75 and 100 Hz does the trick but this will sound bloated at higher levels and drown out the lower mid range often with copious amounts of distortion).

Larger speakers tend to be more balanced and therefore sound good at all levels but may require the use of "loudness" or a little bass lift at extremely low levels to match what you are used to hearing from their smaller bretheren.

The upgrade difference will probably be most noticable with better clarity on male vocals...i.e. in the region of lower mid range.