B&W 804s too bright

Hi all, I have just purchased a used pair of 804s in good condition. But the thing is, I find that they actually sounded a bit too bright. Before this I was using a pair of Martin Logans and had no such problem. I was thinking whether it is my other equipment which is giving me the problem.

I am running the 804s with Emotiva XPA-3 power amp, ERC-1 CDP and Marantz 6003 as preamp. In between pre and power I have a Yaqin tube buffer to add a tinge of tube taste to all.

Any suggestions?
chaozhoi

Showing 6 responses by chaozhoi

most likely i will not sell the B&W.. sold my martin logan and bought B&W because i need smaller speakers.. any recommendations for warmer electronics and cables?

I am using Chord Carnival Silver Screen bi-wire now btw..
As I am using the speakers for both HT and Stereo, quite a waste to use tube on HT.. any SS amps to recommend? I heard that Classe are good match for B&W.. any other brands?
I also realized that the sound got better and more tamed when I used it with grills on. Less intimidating and overwhelming. Is it a right feeling I am getting?
i forgot to mention. Although I am using Emotiva ERC-1, it is actually connected to a MF M1 DAC. I have also gotten rid of the Marantz 6003 as preamp and got a Adcom 750.

I am using Belden interconnects and looking at changing them to Chord CrimsonPlus XLRs. Power amp wise i will need some time to choose and get for the price involved. Do u think Chord CrimsonPlus is a good choice? Reviews also mentioned that VDH will sound smoother and warmer which might be a good thing for me but comes with a higher price tag.

Wonder if anyone has experience with Chord CrimsonPlus IC or should I just go for VDH?
Anyone uses Chord CrimsonPlus XLR with the 804s? Not easy to get Van Den Hul or Cardas in my country. We do have a lot of Chord options.
Hi, thanks for the advice.. I am using 804S and mentioned in the topic. I just got a Adcom 750 preamp and will start looking out for a power amp.. meanwhile I am looking for a some cable change while scouting for the next power amp.