B&W 804 nautilus OR Revel f30

B&W 804 or REVEL F30? I am looking for a new set of speakers. i can get a set of used Nautilus 804 for about $2100 or a set of used Revel F30 for $1900. what do people think about them what would you pic? i have a Conrad Johnson SA-250 ss amp, Proceed PRE preamp and a Rotel 971 cd player. what would go best with this set up? i like everything from jaz and rock and a bit of classical.
thanx
caterham

Showing 1 response by carlman

I found Thiel vs. Revel to be night and day different. They had completely different character. I would compare Thiel to ProAc.

The Revels are dynamic and controlled. They put out whatever you feed them. You will be able to hear big differences with interconnects and a DAC. The amp you're using is nice but you may find yourself wanting to upgrade one day. It's amazing how much change I've heard with little tweaks while using the F30's.

The B&W is 'more forgiving' I found it less sensitive to small changes. I like the older B&W but, the new stuff isn't my cup o' tea. (The highs and the mid's don't blend well to me... but, the imaging is still quite good.) I really like the way the B&W's look, though. I think the Revels look awful but, they're the best I heard... especially for the money... So, that's what I have. B&W still makes a good speaker but, for my money Revel makes a great speaker.

If you like the Revel, buy it..... you will be quite pleased. (Plus, I found customer service is tops at Revel/Madrigal/Harman)

Good luck,
Carl