B W 804 for Home Theater

Lets talk about B&W for a moment. I have heard rave reviews about their Nautilus speakers and am curious about their suitability for home theater. I have looked at the 804s and 805s as well as the matching center channel. Does anyone else use this combination? Would the 804s/805s be acceptable for left/right front if paired with a proper sub? I am concerned that the small drivers on these speakers might not be up to delivering the proper slam that is needed for home theater. My home theater room is small and I am looking to purchase a matched set of speakers that will stand the test of time. Thanks.
argent

Showing 3 responses by trappist

I'm using an HTM-2 center with my 804s for front and 805s for rear. The HTM-2 just sounded tighter and more clear dialog to me. I've hear this from other people, but you should listen for yourself.

I ordered the CDM-NT rears (cheaper than the 805s), but when they arrived, I could not bear to even listen to them. I thought they were quite ugly and cheap compared to the 805s. Back they went and I got a pair of 805s for the rear. I found that the best, most enveloping sound is to position them next to the listeners, and point them toward the center, but slightly toward the rear wall. That way the sound bounces off the wall, making a more diffuse sound which really works! It increases the apparent volume and makes for incredible ambiance.

I'm using a REL Q201 powered subwoofer. It cranks out more bass than I can handle. I've got it set quite low on the volume setting. One of their larger subs, like the Storm, would look beautiful with the 804s, but that would be even further overkill for my room, which has hardwood floors.

Room tuning was *very* important in my small-ish room. Putting a nice big rug on the hardwood floor dramatically improved imaging and the overall response. No more boomy resonant bass.

I'm very pleased with the 804s. I found that they had better midrange and midbass compared to the 805s for your LR speakers.

Cheers.
Argent,
Good question about the port/nut on the back. I have no idea what it's for. I left it alone. Cheers.
Dealer told me they are for shipping to hold the mid drivers in. They are removed by dealer at prep time.