B&W 803N/ any comments?

I currently own a pair of Thiel PCS monitors with a sub. Powered by a Krell FBP-200C, KRC-3 pre-amp.Mostly listen to jazz or classical. Any thoughts on how these speakers preform?
itsalldark

Showing 1 response by soix

Obviously the 803s are a very good speaker--lots of people love'em and for good reason. Personally I find the midrange a little dry(but very good overall) and the tweeter calls attention to itself too frequently for me. They are also notoriously picky with upstream electronics to really show what they can do. Just realized I could also be describing Thiels up to this point, but the Thiel drivers sound better integrated to my ears--the 803's drivers just don't sound as coherent--and I found Thiels throw a better stage and disappear better into the room. Again, this is just what I've heard, and I've heard them at length with lots of different equipment. Lots of people will no doubt disagree, but that's my honest assessment, and you asked...

I guess my main point would be that at $5000/pr. the 803s run into some pretty stiff competition from companies such as Silverline, Coincident Technology, Joseph Audio, Audio Physic, Triangle, Talon, VonSchweikert, Gershmann, Soliloquy, Merlin, and even Thiel itself. Personally I'd take the offerings from any of these companies over the 803s, but again that's my individual taste and the 803s may very well do it for you. Bottom line: At this price point you're gonna end up with a great pair of speakers as long as you go out and trust your own ears--have fun and best of luck.

Tim