B&W 803D vs N802

I'd like to know if any N802 Owners have upgraded to the 803Diamond? Or if 803D Owners considered buying used N802?Used 803Diamond costs at least $1K more than used N802, is it worth the cost difference or is the N802 a better all-around Speaker?
dannybc57e

Showing 2 responses by courtvision21cbcc

Depends on what you want. The N802 is a little more relaxed/laid back type of sound compared to the 803D. The 803D has a more forward type of sound in comparison. The 803D has stronger bass output and a bit snappier/faster. The 803D also has a more sharply defined leading edge due to the diamond tweeter. This also brings the musical presentation a few rows closer to the listener, more forward type of sound. These are the virtues of the 803D. The N802, due to the separate Marlan midrange design, the presentation is more floating, more 3D type of soundstage. There is more front to back spacing, more layered where the individual instrument notes or vocals have their own defined space. This to me sounds a little more natural and smoother, but with adequate detail, not as razor sharp as the 803D, but I don't think it's that far off if you mate the N802 with the right cables and gear.

So if you value strong, fast, defined bass and want razor like defined images (but in a more 2D fashion), and want a closer perspective to the presentation (more forward), then I think the 803D would fit your needs better. But if you value liquid smooth detail, with 3D soundstage, natural laid back presentation, and that effortless disappearing type of feel, the older N802 will be a better choice.

Good luck !
Hi Audphile1,

Certainly there can be numerous reasons why we differ on our impressions on the 803D. It can be gear,cable, or room related. However, my observations were derived from listening to the B&W 803D, N802,and 802D at the same dealer showroom, driven with the same gear and same cables on the same day with the same music cds that I brought. This paints a really accurate picture in relative comparison of all three models, so I was able to pinpoint each one's attributes.

From what I have found, the N802 was the most laid back of the three, and second was the 802D. The 803D was the most upfront sounding of the three models. Not saying the 803D is up in your face type of forward sound, but compared to the other two B&W models it was. This observation is consistent, because the diamond tweeter, though non fatiguing, does bring the presentation a few rows up front more than the older N802 (not the N803 or lower models). It also is consistent that the 802D , due to it's separate Marlan midrange design, was a little more laid back than the 803D design.

But I do have to agree with you that the Nautilus 800 series' tweeters can (at times) sound not as smooth and a little uncontrolled/harsh if upstream gear, or cables, or cds are not mated well.

The best of both worlds would be the 802D, because it has the qualities of the new 803D, yet have some resemblence of the older N802. But if one has to choose between the 803D or the N802, it's a matter of preference more than anything else. Each plays music differently, whether one is better is hard to say, it depends who you ask and what their preference is. You can't go wrong with either.