B&W 803 Diamond

I was out for a ride & stopped by the local dealer in Great Barrington, MA to check out some CD's. As always, I wandered back to their listening room to see what they have.

They had the new 803 diamond (replacement for original 803D) on the floor, connected to McIntosh CD + tube preamp + 402 power amp. I have heard the original 803D previously more than once & didn't like it - some coloration in the midrange drove me nuts.

Well this new one is a MAJOR improvement - actually the first time ever that B&W's have exceeded my expectations. The sound is now very open and coherent top to bottom, and very involving. No midrange issues and the treble is superb without calling attention to itself. If the whole new range is improved similarly, they are going to do VERY well.
Ag insider logo xs@2xneilgundel

Showing 3 responses by krell1

Here is what B&W says about the N803D's.............

"803 DiamondThe 803 Diamond might look almost as imposing as the 802 Diamond, but thanks to its smaller footprint and more traditional cabinet design, it will fit more comfortably into a home environment. With three massive 7” Rohacell® bass drivers, it delivers almost as much bass as the 802 Diamond, filling even the largest of domestic rooms with rich, stunningly lifelike sound."

They must sound totally freakin' awesome!
From what I have read B&W is only one of a few in the entire industry producing speakers with diamond tweeters and are the cheapest of them all. The material and process is very expensive so they offer the 800 "S" models with metal dome tweeters for that reason. I am seeing the N803D's used for around $6K so that is 40% off, a great deal.
I stand corrected and agree $5K is a lot of money for monitors that are not full range. They should have kept the "S" available in the N800 line, nice to have a choice.