B&W 803 Diamond

I was out for a ride & stopped by the local dealer in Great Barrington, MA to check out some CD's. As always, I wandered back to their listening room to see what they have.

They had the new 803 diamond (replacement for original 803D) on the floor, connected to McIntosh CD + tube preamp + 402 power amp. I have heard the original 803D previously more than once & didn't like it - some coloration in the midrange drove me nuts.

Well this new one is a MAJOR improvement - actually the first time ever that B&W's have exceeded my expectations. The sound is now very open and coherent top to bottom, and very involving. No midrange issues and the treble is superb without calling attention to itself. If the whole new range is improved similarly, they are going to do VERY well.
Ag insider logo xs@2xneilgundel

Showing 1 response by jeffkad

Early returns on the new line have been decidedly good so far. As for price, actually, although the B&W line has increased price-wise, if there is a commensurate or even greater improvement in sound, why shouldn't it cost more, like everything else does. Look at the prices of it's competitors, they've mostly all gone up significantly over the past few years as well. The real question is, AT their current price, how do they SOUND versus similarly priced competition? As for less-than-full-range monitors like the 805, $5k is really at the lower end of the spectrum for truly high performing monitors. There are tons of monitors priced higher 5k on up to the absurdly priced $30k Magico Mini. Just my two cents. Hopefully the new 800 series is so good there will be tons of used 802D and 800D's for sale come the summer (and I can grab one cheap, hehe).