B&W 802D vs Vandersteen 5 used

I am looking to upgrade my system. One consideration (among many) is upgrading the speakers. B&W 802D's go used for $8k and up. Vandersteen 5 go for $5k up. This is obviously not the new Vandersteen 5A.

I would be powering the front speakers with a McCormack DNA225 upgraded to the platinum version. The processor is an Anthem D2 (with ARC the room correction). The digital are McCormack UDP1 Deluxe and Denon 3800 Bluray.

I enjoy detail, voicing, seperation, and want that elusive "musical" feel without being dark or blurred. I also do not want bright and harsh. We listen to a very wide variety of music from Rock, Blues, Jazz, etc. so we need versitality. We also watch a lot of music DVD's.

The speakers will be in a long room that goes from a family room to the kitchen, and proper placement is difficult, but I will do my best. Right now the surrounds and additional speakers are B&W Nautilus series, but can be changed. Since placement is limited due to cabinets and furniture (distance from the walls) I thought that maybe the Vandersteen 5 engineering dynamics would be more flexible as opposed to the 3 series which I have been told need a lot of space. Maybe I am wrong though.

What are your feelings on comparing these speakers? As stated in other threads I understand B&W are controversial, but the 802D seem to be one of their better efforts.

Thank you for any advice.
still_learning
Both are fine speakers the B&Ws are more dynamic. Both have challenges in regards to placement. B&W have a tricky first reflecion and Vandersteen can be a little on the dry side if you have them too far apart.
That was very interesting, please explain more on the B&W tricky first reflection comment. That could be a problem I am having with my current B&W 804 Nautilus.

As to the comparisons, I do like a dynamic speaker, and a dry speaker is not what I wish to have. On the speaker placement issues, they can not be placed too far apart, I doubt they could be more than 7 feet to 8 feet apart, after that couches are in the way. It is also difficult to be more that 1 1/2 to 2 + feet from the back wall. They are also close to cabinets on one of each of their sides and in the back of them there is more room, but a fireplace with a closed glass door. Not exactly optimum.

The built in cabinets are beutiful but not beneficial for speasker placement.
I might consider a real nice pair of the B&W 801 series 3 Matrix...You won't have the dryness issues and have plenty of money left over for gear for your system..Many people prefer ( not saying they are better ) the older sweeter Matrix line of B&W's ...Newer isn't always better..Just offering another option......Good luck with your decision.......