B W 802 Matrix III: Bright shrieky?

I have a friend who recently purchased B&W 802 Nautilus spkrs. After break-in, I must say I am impressed with the sound, & they are not BRIGHT, as I expected them to be. He tends to like more upfront & brighter sound than I do, so when he told me that the 802 Matrix III's he had before these (I hadn't heard these), WERE quite bright. He also says they don't hold a CANDLE to the Nautilus 802s.

I like the Nautilus, but don't want to spend that kind of money. I am wondering if B&W ophiles have any opinions on these two speakers. Would used 802 III's sound anything like his Nautilus? Or would I be disappointed---
kevziek

Showing 1 response by avguy

I don't have the 802s, but I own a pair of Nautilus 801s (and a Nautilus HTM-1 center and a pair of Nautilus 805 for home theater) and a pair of Matrix 801S3s.

Like Snooker14, I too have opted to keep both pairs of 801s, with the new Nautilus in the living room and the Matrix in my bedroom as the second system.

The N801s are far superior speakers than the M801S3s --there is no comparison and better in almost every respect.

However, the M801S3s are terrific speakers in themselves, with extremely sweet sound. I bought my M801S3s as used, and for that used price, I don't think there's any speaker that comes close to the sound of those speakers.

I don't think you will go wrong with a pair of Matrix 802S3s. These speakers are true classics and will remain so for many years to come......