B&W 801N and Bryston match

I have a pair of B&W 801N as part of a home theater system and I'm looking to upgrade my amplifiers. I like Bryston because of their warrenty and pricing on the used market. If you had a choice between upagrading the amp to run the 801N only would you choose the Bryston 4B SST or the Bryston 7B ST. I know I would be sacrificing some power going to the 4B SST but would the benefits of the SST line be worth it?
velesmj

Showing 2 responses by zenblaster

I'm not sure about the 801n but the older 801's needed a pair of Bryston 4's to make them sing. I am listening to that set-up now. 500 watts to keep the bottom from getting flabby. They sure sound good together, lot's of horsepower though.
The 801n sounds perfect in a home theatre set-up, it should be very nice when your done. Good luck and happy listening.
I've been to at least a dozen studios that powered 801's with Bryston's, but to each his own. What each of us hear and like is different but I've never heard them described as "sounds like hell".
I have the second iteration of the 801 with the sealed bass unit. They were about $1500- new in the mid 80's. With a 85dB/watt efficency, they required a lot of power. They are also VERY revealing, therefore they require a skilled hand to get them dialed in. Stands, set off walls just so but the effort is worth it.